Added second CPU... not showing up / being utilized

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I recently added a second CPU, i believe i had just done a reinstall of windows (before adding this new CPU) and it has been a few months since and just realized it didn't show the second CPU, all i have been looking at is the dual core of my first one. I have looked into it and people say its a HAL issue, but if i had installed a multi core processor, shouldn't it already have the correct HAL Installed?? I dont want to re-install windows, but if i have to for it to utilize it, i will, but i would just like not to.

Any ideas?

Task Manager shows two boxes, it should show four if im not mistaken, since i have two dual core processors.

I am running fx-74's on an asus L1n64-sli ws

with 4 gigs of ram installed...

it shows 2 gigs of ram (it's using NUMA, so there should be 2 allocated to each processor)... :-\

Solution
^ If you are not seeing the 2nd CPU in BIOS try clearing CMOS. This will set every thing to stock. Also make sure you are running the latest BIOS (Version 0505). If these don't work, you could have a dead CPU. Try switching CPUs. Use the new CPU in Socket 0. I'm not sure if this board uses 2x CPU power connectors, but if this board does, MAKE SURE the 2nd CPU power connector is plugged in.

edit:
[strike]I just looked at the board and it appears that there is a 4 pin Molex connector on the board called "EZ_Plug1" right next to the 24 pin ATX. I think this is the power to the 2nd CPU. You may want to make sure this is plugged in along with the 4 pin CPU.[/strike] This is an old board, so I am not 100% sure, but in the current gen board, you...

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009

cpuz.jpg

2 cores 2 threads... :-\

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
i'd also like to note that it shows 4 gigs of memory. I run speed fan to monitor temps and it only shows one processor and what not... odd..

And notice processors are grey'd out... only processor#1 is selected...

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
XP pro only supports 2 CPUs if you installed it with a multi-processor Harware Abstraction Layer (HAL).
If you installed XP Pro with one CPU, it only uses one.

I only know to re-install XP. There may be a way to upgrade it, i'll have a look.
In the mean time, go to device manager, Look for ACI multiprocessor PC. If it is there, You already have it , but I doubt this.

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I do have it... its because this is a dual core processor, it has to install HAL anyway. And supposedly you can just uninstall that driver, then re-install it and that should add HAL without re-installing windows.

But like i said it doesn't seem like it has both processors installed... maybe i'm just wrong. Haha.

It shows two processors under processors, but i thought that was because i had a dual core processor...

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
lol, yes i have SP2. And no, not in bios... i dont think.. i checked a few days ago, and i remember being a bit confused by only seeing one... so yeah. IDK ill see if i can get a SS of my bios. G2g to work BBL

^ If you are not seeing the 2nd CPU in BIOS try clearing CMOS. This will set every thing to stock. Also make sure you are running the latest BIOS (Version 0505). If these don't work, you could have a dead CPU. Try switching CPUs. Use the new CPU in Socket 0. I'm not sure if this board uses 2x CPU power connectors, but if this board does, MAKE SURE the 2nd CPU power connector is plugged in.

edit:
[strike]I just looked at the board and it appears that there is a 4 pin Molex connector on the board called "EZ_Plug1" right next to the 24 pin ATX. I think this is the power to the 2nd CPU. You may want to make sure this is plugged in along with the 4 pin CPU.[/strike] This is an old board, so I am not 100% sure, but in the current gen board, you absolutely need the 2nd CPU power connector in order power the 2nd CPU else the board doesn't usually see the CPU or the board starts to beep an error code.

edit 2:
You can also try and see if a Linux distro sees the 2nd CPU.

edit 3:
Make sure you have the 8 pin CPU connector plugged in. A single 4 pin CPU power WILL NOT work for 2P. EZ Plug is power for the Graphics Cards. This is not needed unless running SLI,etc.

Solution

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
LMFAO SOOO yeah... the second power plug area had a cap on it, and since i was soo excited and practically threw the thing in there (the fan spun up and what not, so i i thought i was good)it didnt even have power. LULz

Ty for reminding me of my stupidity. :p
ADD + Excitement = Fail. :(

works like a charm all processors show up, no re install needed :)

LOL. Glad it's working fine now.

Btw, how is Fedora 14? Haven't downloaded the final version, I'v been running the Alpha/Betas for a while and it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.