Sign in with
Your question

Trying to figure out HD noise -- what is it doing?!

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • HD
  • Task Manager
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 6, 2012 12:03:42 AM

Is there any way to figure out what a harddrive is doing?! sometimes I can hear my hd cranking/spinning even though I've closed every program and nothing is noticeable in task manager....

More about : figure noise

a c 160 G Storage
November 6, 2012 12:15:19 AM

If you have the indicator lit, it may be doing self optimizations(defrag ect). This makes the standard seeking sound.

Without the led lit, some drives park the heads when idle. This makes a clunking/chirping noise.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 6, 2012 12:18:38 AM

Try opening Resource Monitor. It shows what processes are reading/writing and such. But if it's the boot drive, there's always going to be some activity.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 6, 2012 1:51:16 PM

Assuming you have either Vista or 7 there are general processes like the indexing feature will cause random hard drive usage. You could go through your system and shut off every little thing that utilizes hard drive usage even when your not running anything yourself. It can be a little annoying seeing constant hard drive activity wearing it down but for me personally it loses the affect of what makes the OS run so great.
m
l
November 7, 2012 1:53:05 AM

Interesting... thanks for the replies folks... more investigation needed.
m
l
November 7, 2012 11:32:56 AM

The sysinternals DiskMon is an application that logs and displays all hard disk activity on a Windows system. Search sysinternals DiskMon on google.
m
l
!