Can I run 2d surround of 470gtx + 9800gt?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
As mentioned in my title I'd like to run 2d surround. I've got a problem however, due to the cost of the 2 extra screens I can't really afford another 470gtx. So my plan is to take a 9800gt which is I have lying around and use it as a dedicated physx and run my 3rd screen of that. The problem though is I don't have a clue whether this will actually work. I've been told that it is possible, but I'm not sure.

If it isn't possible is there another solution which isn't expensive as buying another 470 to make this work?

And I know that 1 470 is really powerfull but I'm not planning to play on the highest settings or anything like that anyways.

Any suggestions? It would be very helpfull :D

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

And if I buy say a 240gt or slightly better and forget the physx thing. Is there any way to make it work with a cheap gpu or any alternative solution?

notty22

Distinguished
Thats just not going to work. Its hard to describe whats technically going on, but bottom line, the driver needs a sli setup to drive 3 monitors. Then there are the rules that have to be followed to get sli to function correctly.
There is no way to write drivers (that WORK) with all this potential functionality that we might be able to dream up!

Yeah what they said ^. If you can't afford the 2 extra screens now, you should consider buying a second 480 first and upgrade the monitors later I guess... or sell the 480 for a pair of surround monitor capable cards.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Actually this is making me reconsider.(I know this isn't the place to ask for this but it's just a quick question)

so I have few hudreds to spend. I can't imagine spending it on aything exept my pc so where should I spend?

an ssd

2d surround

3d vision

700D with some heavy duty liquid cooling

so which sounds more appealing?

notty22

Distinguished
In this order, would be my preference.

SSD under 200 dollars. A very fast ocz 60gb or 40/80gb intel
3d vision glasses kit with Avatar , I would choose to do just 1 monitor and get a blu ray drive, total 300 dollars
700D

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
personally i'd go 3d vision sdd, liquid cooling 2d surround as my top, 3d sounds very applying i'd rather have my extra gpu horsepower go to the 3d dimension instead of making one of the 2nd's a little bigger

especially because of the awkard monitor bezel monitor that you have to deal with today since bezels really haven't shrank much

sdd even from reading about how awesome they are, still doesn't get my attention enough to drop 180 for 60gb, sure they're fast, but my raid 0 is pretty fast too, and for gaming raw throughput is way more important, then i/o performance, so i'd save some money and wait the whole sec for my apps to come up lol

liquid cooling would be applying alittle extra over clocking headroom cooler temps less noise, but it comes at a high price

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I think I'm going to go with either 3d vision or surrounf now, then the ssd and lastly a nice case with liquid cooling.

The reason I don't want to go with an ssd now is as jhonny mentioned my raid0 setup is fast enough(I have the exact same setup as you btw :D) and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

And then 2d surround vs 3d. Well I still think I'm leaning towards 2d surround is because IMO 3d isn't all that great, It's amazing in some scenes when some things come fyling at you or things like that, but when there isn't a lot of effort put into the 3d aspect like in most current movies and games aswell I presume it just rounds of the edges and makes it marginally nicer which you get used to so quickly that it's bassically neglectable.

And then there is the price. I have a blu-ray drive so no problem there but the screens are insanely expensive. One acer 24inch(which I hear are the only one's worthwhile as the first generation monitors are very bad) costs 360euros here in europe that's the same as 2 benq's. And that's without the cost of the 3d kit which is another 200. Sure I need another 470 for my surround but that's an inevitable upgrade anyways.

I might change my mind But right now I think I'm gonna get 2d surround.