How can I re install Realtek pcie fe family controller series v1.24

xkittenx

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
When I turn my Dell Inspiron M5040 on it comes up with error about missing hard drive, Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.24 (10/07/10) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

Please help me, this has been coming up since I accidentally dropped me laptop I've been through F2 and F12 done test and says no hard drive found. How can I reinstall this driver without the disc as I can't find the disc that come with the laptop as I recently moved and think it got lost.

tomatthe

Distinguished
"Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.24 (10/07/10) PXE-E61" is your network card which the machine is trying to boot off of since it isn't detecting the hard drive. I would try removing/reseating the hard drive to make sure its seated properly. If you do that, and it's still not booting you could try replacing the drive/reinstalling OS if the drive shows up. If the new drive isn't detected then the laptop is likely not worth repairing, although you could contact Dell or take it to a repair center for another opinion.

Unfortunately you have to remove the bottom casing on the machine to check the hard drive connection which is not something I would recommend unless you are comfortable working with delicate electronics.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insm5040/en/sm/hd-assem.htm

Best bet is to take it somewhere to be serviced if you are not comfortable taking the laptop apart.

anisalabsi

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013