Toshiba satellite a135-s2326 cpu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
If you are looking for a 64bit dual core processor a T5200 is 64bit enabled, 1.6Ghz Dual Core, around the same price as a T2080. You could look at the T5300 which is a 64bit Dual core 1.73Ghz, both should be compatible with your board but it would be best to check with Toshiba.
There is no way by which you can change or upgrade the cpu of our laptop.Laptop's cpus are soldered to the mobo and are not replaceable.

I have yet to come accross a laptop with a CPU I cannot remove. I searched that CPU on Intels Ark (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27977). There are no embedded options avalible for that processor (unlike atom etc) So you may be able to replace it but it would probably be best to contact toshiba to find which processors it supports, but you will not be able to put in any newer processors like a Core i3,i5,i7.
A google search lead me to this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/487653-p4-processor-socket-ppga478.html#post6301761
But then again the motherboard BIOS may not support a new chip.

windwardkid

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for all the help. I'm just looking to improve the laptop at a reasonable price. No use spending over 30% of an old laptop which probably isn't' worth more than a couple hundred at most.
What's the difference between a m520 and a T2080? Seems that Toshiba made model A135's with this processor -- all things being the same except for the cpu. Would this be a good upgrade?

If all things are the same the T2080 is a dual core processor and has a clock speed increase from 1.6Ghz to 1.73. Going from a single core to a dual core you will see a nice perfomance increase. But the T2080 lacks 64bit support this only matters if you are running a 64bit operating system (Windows 7 64bit, Windows Vista 64bit) Chances are you probably have a 32bit OS (more so if you have less than 4GB of RAM). If you are are confident you can replace the processors you will see a nice performance boost. Before you upgrade the processor I would recommend you flash your laptop to the latest BIOS to increase the chances of it working.

Before you buy the new CPU you can open up your laptop and check if your current one is removable (or contact toshiba and ask if it is upgradable if they try to sell you one just say no if you are going to buy your own) You should buy some thermal paste (its cheap a few bucks) when you put in the new processor (only apply a little bit).

windwardkid

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks for the great information. Actually I am interested in a 64-bit cpu. I realize that I'll be ram limited but most of the interesting OS's are now 64-bit and I get cheap laptops for free from clients that no longer want them or want the latest. If I can convert them to a 64-bit platform, I can use them as a cheap way to experiment with those OS's. In this case my m520 is 64-bit enabled but I'm just wondering if there is another cpu out there with a little more horsepower.
Thanks!

If you are looking for a 64bit dual core processor a T5200 is 64bit enabled, 1.6Ghz Dual Core, around the same price as a T2080. You could look at the T5300 which is a 64bit Dual core 1.73Ghz, both should be compatible with your board but it would be best to check with Toshiba.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.