Sign in with
Your question

How to solve the problem space occupied but files not showned on the flash drive

Last response: in Storage
November 6, 2012 10:28:13 AM

i m having 8GB sandisk pendrive.it has occupied space but files has not showing please help me immediately.
and i did some tricks to recover but not recovering my problems by this

1. click start>>run>>type in "cmd"
2. type the location of your flash drive.. e.g. "d:", "e:", "f:", etc..
3. type "dir /ah"
*you will now see the files/folders with hidden attributes
4. type "attrib [name of file/folder] -r -a -s -h"
*if you're going to unhide files, you should type the whole name plus the extension (format).. example "attrib party.jpg -r -a -s -h"
**if you have folders with 6 characters and above, type the first 6 characters then "~1".. example for folder named "birthday"
"attrib birthd~1 -r -a -s -h"
5. you should repeatedly type dir /ah after unhiding some files/folders so you'll know if they're now working or not..
6. now check you flash drive.. it should be there..

and -h-s-r-a*.* method also i tried.

try to help me..
a b G Storage
November 6, 2012 11:14:53 AM

What are you trying to accomplish here? If you just want the space back, copy the files off that drive that you care about, and then format it which should free all space.
November 15, 2012 11:27:45 AM

no no i need the files bit its not visible.....how can i recover.
Related resources
March 3, 2014 12:03:11 AM

there are 2 folders i want to unhide. one is under the name of "New Folder" and the other one as "New folder"
i managed to unhide "New Folder" but i don't know what to use on the cmd in order for it to recognize the second "new folder" . it appears as "New folder <2>"
any suggestion ?
a c 271 G Storage
March 3, 2014 2:16:58 PM

To unhide the folder ...

attrib "New folder <2>" -r -a -s -h

Then to unhide the files, including those in the subdirectories ...

attrib "New folder <2>\*.*" -r -a -s -h /s
!