Windows will not load with new motherboard

May 17, 2005 5:55:21 PM

I have installed a new motherboard and processor after my old board died.
After plugging in my old hard drive with a working copy of windows XP
installed on it, the system failed to load windows. At first I got the
"NTLDR is missing, Press control alt delete to restart" message. I then
installed a fresh copy of XP on my second hard disk and then copied NTLDR and
NTdetect from the windows disk to the first hard disk. This got past the
"NTLDR is missing" message but only just. The computer posted and went
through all the memory checks but rebooted when the first windows loading
screen should have appeared. It now always reboots at this point and will go
no further. Strangely the windows disk doesn't give me any repair options if
I boot from it other than recovery console and the FIXBOOT command has not
helped.
How can I make the first hard disk load, I can't access the "my documents"
folder on it if I load windows from the second hard disk and I can't bare to
lose all the files and photos on it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 7:07:26 PM

Neil;
After a motherboard replacement, a Repair Installation is normally required
to properly detect the new hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a new motherboard and processor after my old board died.
> After plugging in my old hard drive with a working copy of windows XP
> installed on it, the system failed to load windows. At first I got the
> "NTLDR is missing, Press control alt delete to restart" message. I then
> installed a fresh copy of XP on my second hard disk and then copied NTLDR
> and
> NTdetect from the windows disk to the first hard disk. This got past the
> "NTLDR is missing" message but only just. The computer posted and went
> through all the memory checks but rebooted when the first windows loading
> screen should have appeared. It now always reboots at this point and will
> go
> no further. Strangely the windows disk doesn't give me any repair options
> if
> I boot from it other than recovery console and the FIXBOOT command has not
> helped.
> How can I make the first hard disk load, I can't access the "my documents"
> folder on it if I load windows from the second hard disk and I can't bare
> lose all the files and photos on it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 5:18:07 AM

Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after installation,re-connect
1st
hd,then open in IE,copy folders to cd,or 2nd hd,then re-install xp on 1st,or
format and use it as storage..

"Neil" wrote:

> I have installed a new motherboard and processor after my old board died.
> After plugging in my old hard drive with a working copy of windows XP
> installed on it, the system failed to load windows. At first I got the
> "NTLDR is missing, Press control alt delete to restart" message. I then
> installed a fresh copy of XP on my second hard disk and then copied NTLDR and
> NTdetect from the windows disk to the first hard disk. This got past the
> "NTLDR is missing" message but only just. The computer posted and went
> through all the memory checks but rebooted when the first windows loading
> screen should have appeared. It now always reboots at this point and will go
> no further. Strangely the windows disk doesn't give me any repair options if
> I boot from it other than recovery console and the FIXBOOT command has not
> helped.
> How can I make the first hard disk load, I can't access the "my documents"
> folder on it if I load windows from the second hard disk and I can't bare to
> lose all the files and photos on it.
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 1:03:34 PM

Take Ownership on My Documents or the whole disk and backup the data.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 6:44:27 PM

Andrew;
Incorrect.
A new motherboard does not require a Clean Installation.
A Repair Installation will do what is necessary.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install
> of
> xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after
> installation,re-connect
> 1st
> hd,then open in IE,copy folders to cd,or 2nd hd,then re-install xp on
> 1st,or
> format and use it as storage
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 8:01:08 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:18:07 -0700, Andrew E. wrote:

> Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
> xp..

?
Repair installs have worked for me when replacing motherboards.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:18:07 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
wrote:

> Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
> xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after installation,re-connect

Please don't tell my computer this!!

I've done MANY updates of motherboards for myself, family and friends,
NEVER has it failed to boot to the windows XP cd, and then go past the
firste 'repair using the console', and then choose the second repair
option. This will make an inplace upgrade (which infact is a
downgrade, since it was SP2 with all updates, now it is a vanilla
SP2), all hardware will be installed anew, while software is left
untouched. Any hardware updates will need to be reinstalled.

Regards Leif.
May 19, 2005 2:53:09 PM

How do I do a repair install, I can access the recovery console by booting
from the windows disk (don't know if that will help) but the only other
option i get is to install windows. If is chose this option it then asks me
to select the partition to install to etc, tells me that I already have
windows on the selected partition and asks if I want to install windows in
this location which will delete all files, folders, programs, security, user
accounts and possibly my documents. It does not give me the option to repair
windows which I usually can access when I have a copy of windows that works
to start with! I have already taken ownership of the first disk and copied
most of the files I need to my second disk assuming that I would have to
reformat and reinstall XP from scratch on the first. It would save me a lot
of time and effort reinstalling software and setting things up if i can
repair the first though. Please help.

Neil

"Leif Nordmand Andersen" wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:18:07 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
> > xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after installation,re-connect
>
> Please don't tell my computer this!!
>
> I've done MANY updates of motherboards for myself, family and friends,
> NEVER has it failed to boot to the windows XP cd, and then go past the
> firste 'repair using the console', and then choose the second repair
> option. This will make an inplace upgrade (which infact is a
> downgrade, since it was SP2 with all updates, now it is a vanilla
> SP2), all hardware will be installed anew, while software is left
> untouched. Any hardware updates will need to be reinstalled.
>
> Regards Leif.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2005 4:15:05 PM

Neil;
Did you follow this link referenced in my last post:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
You need to press "R" after accepting the EULA.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> How do I do a repair install, I can access the recovery console by booting
> from the windows disk (don't know if that will help) but the only other
> option i get is to install windows. If is chose this option it then asks
> me
> to select the partition to install to etc, tells me that I already have
> windows on the selected partition and asks if I want to install windows in
> this location which will delete all files, folders, programs, security,
> user
> accounts and possibly my documents. It does not give me the option to
> repair
> windows which I usually can access when I have a copy of windows that
> works
> to start with! I have already taken ownership of the first disk and
> copied
> most of the files I need to my second disk assuming that I would have to
> reformat and reinstall XP from scratch on the first. It would save me a
> lot
> of time and effort reinstalling software and setting things up if i can
> repair the first though. Please help.
>
> Neil
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2005 8:50:04 PM

Since you are net getting the repair "R" option after XP finds itself
already installed you will need to do a clean install. The current
installation is toast.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I do a repair install, I can access the recovery console by booting
> from the windows disk (don't know if that will help) but the only other
> option i get is to install windows. If is chose this option it then asks
> me
> to select the partition to install to etc, tells me that I already have
> windows on the selected partition and asks if I want to install windows in
> this location which will delete all files, folders, programs, security,
> user
> accounts and possibly my documents. It does not give me the option to
> repair
> windows which I usually can access when I have a copy of windows that
> works
> to start with! I have already taken ownership of the first disk and
> copied
> most of the files I need to my second disk assuming that I would have to
> reformat and reinstall XP from scratch on the first. It would save me a
> lot
> of time and effort reinstalling software and setting things up if i can
> repair the first though. Please help.
>
> Neil
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2005 2:49:33 AM

Hej Neil,

>How do I do a repair install.

Follow the link Jupiter Jones gave you. It says it all.

Regards Leif.
!