Windows will not load with new motherboard

I have installed a new motherboard and processor after my old board died.
After plugging in my old hard drive with a working copy of windows XP
installed on it, the system failed to load windows. At first I got the
"NTLDR is missing, Press control alt delete to restart" message. I then
installed a fresh copy of XP on my second hard disk and then copied NTLDR and
NTdetect from the windows disk to the first hard disk. This got past the
"NTLDR is missing" message but only just. The computer posted and went
through all the memory checks but rebooted when the first windows loading
screen should have appeared. It now always reboots at this point and will go
no further. Strangely the windows disk doesn't give me any repair options if
I boot from it other than recovery console and the FIXBOOT command has not
helped.
How can I make the first hard disk load, I can't access the "my documents"
folder on it if I load windows from the second hard disk and I can't bare to
lose all the files and photos on it.
10 answers Last reply
More about windows load motherboard

    Neil;
    After a motherboard replacement, a Repair Installation is normally required
    to properly detect the new hardware:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed a new motherboard and processor after my old board died.
    > After plugging in my old hard drive with a working copy of windows XP
    > installed on it, the system failed to load windows. At first I got the
    > "NTLDR is missing, Press control alt delete to restart" message. I then
    > installed a fresh copy of XP on my second hard disk and then copied NTLDR
    > and
    > NTdetect from the windows disk to the first hard disk. This got past the
    > "NTLDR is missing" message but only just. The computer posted and went
    > through all the memory checks but rebooted when the first windows loading
    > screen should have appeared. It now always reboots at this point and will
    > go
    > no further. Strangely the windows disk doesn't give me any repair options
    > if
    > I boot from it other than recovery console and the FIXBOOT command has not
    > helped.
    > How can I make the first hard disk load, I can't access the "my documents"
    > folder on it if I load windows from the second hard disk and I can't bare
    > lose all the files and photos on it.

    Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
    xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after installation,re-connect
    1st
    hd,then open in IE,copy folders to cd,or 2nd hd,then re-install xp on 1st,or
    format and use it as storage..

    "Neil" wrote:

    > I have installed a new motherboard and processor after my old board died.
    > After plugging in my old hard drive with a working copy of windows XP
    > installed on it, the system failed to load windows. At first I got the
    > "NTLDR is missing, Press control alt delete to restart" message. I then
    > installed a fresh copy of XP on my second hard disk and then copied NTLDR and
    > NTdetect from the windows disk to the first hard disk. This got past the
    > "NTLDR is missing" message but only just. The computer posted and went
    > through all the memory checks but rebooted when the first windows loading
    > screen should have appeared. It now always reboots at this point and will go
    > no further. Strangely the windows disk doesn't give me any repair options if
    > I boot from it other than recovery console and the FIXBOOT command has not
    > helped.
    > How can I make the first hard disk load, I can't access the "my documents"
    > folder on it if I load windows from the second hard disk and I can't bare to
    > lose all the files and photos on it.

    Take Ownership on My Documents or the whole disk and backup the data.

    Andrew;
    Incorrect.
    A new motherboard does not require a Clean Installation.
    A Repair Installation will do what is necessary.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:18:07 -0700, Andrew E. wrote:

    > Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
    > xp..

    ?
    Repair installs have worked for me when replacing motherboards.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Andrew,

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:18:07 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    wrote:

    > Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
    > xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after installation,re-connect

    Please don't tell my computer this!!

    I've done MANY updates of motherboards for myself, family and friends,
    NEVER has it failed to boot to the windows XP cd, and then go past the
    firste 'repair using the console', and then choose the second repair
    option. This will make an inplace upgrade (which infact is a
    downgrade, since it was SP2 with all updates, now it is a vanilla
    SP2), all hardware will be installed anew, while software is left
    untouched. Any hardware updates will need to be reinstalled.

    Regards Leif.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    How do I do a repair install, I can access the recovery console by booting
    from the windows disk (don't know if that will help) but the only other
    option i get is to install windows. If is chose this option it then asks me
    to select the partition to install to etc, tells me that I already have
    windows on the selected partition and asks if I want to install windows in
    this location which will delete all files, folders, programs, security, user
    accounts and possibly my documents. It does not give me the option to repair
    windows which I usually can access when I have a copy of windows that works
    to start with! I have already taken ownership of the first disk and copied
    most of the files I need to my second disk assuming that I would have to
    reformat and reinstall XP from scratch on the first. It would save me a lot
    of time and effort reinstalling software and setting things up if i can
    repair the first though. Please help.

    Neil

    "Leif Nordmand Andersen" wrote:

    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:18:07 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Youre wasting youre time on a "repair",new boards require a clean install of
    > > xp..Why not,install xp on 2nd hard drive,then after installation,re-connect
    >
    > Please don't tell my computer this!!
    >
    > I've done MANY updates of motherboards for myself, family and friends,
    > NEVER has it failed to boot to the windows XP cd, and then go past the
    > firste 'repair using the console', and then choose the second repair
    > option. This will make an inplace upgrade (which infact is a
    > downgrade, since it was SP2 with all updates, now it is a vanilla
    > SP2), all hardware will be installed anew, while software is left
    > untouched. Any hardware updates will need to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Regards Leif.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Neil;
    Did you follow this link referenced in my last post:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    You need to press "R" after accepting the EULA.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > How do I do a repair install, I can access the recovery console by booting
    > from the windows disk (don't know if that will help) but the only other
    > option i get is to install windows. If is chose this option it then asks
    > me
    > to select the partition to install to etc, tells me that I already have
    > windows on the selected partition and asks if I want to install windows in
    > this location which will delete all files, folders, programs, security,
    > user
    > accounts and possibly my documents. It does not give me the option to
    > repair
    > windows which I usually can access when I have a copy of windows that
    > works
    > to start with! I have already taken ownership of the first disk and
    > copied
    > most of the files I need to my second disk assuming that I would have to
    > reformat and reinstall XP from scratch on the first. It would save me a
    > lot
    > of time and effort reinstalling software and setting things up if i can
    > repair the first though. Please help.
    >
    > Neil
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Since you are net getting the repair "R" option after XP finds itself
    already installed you will need to do a clean install. The current
    installation is toast.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I do a repair install, I can access the recovery console by booting
    > from the windows disk (don't know if that will help) but the only other
    > option i get is to install windows. If is chose this option it then asks
    > me
    > to select the partition to install to etc, tells me that I already have
    > windows on the selected partition and asks if I want to install windows in
    > this location which will delete all files, folders, programs, security,
    > user
    > accounts and possibly my documents. It does not give me the option to
    > repair
    > windows which I usually can access when I have a copy of windows that
    > works
    > to start with! I have already taken ownership of the first disk and
    > copied
    > most of the files I need to my second disk assuming that I would have to
    > reformat and reinstall XP from scratch on the first. It would save me a
    > lot
    > of time and effort reinstalling software and setting things up if i can
    > repair the first though. Please help.
    >
    > Neil
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hej Neil,

    >How do I do a repair install.

    Follow the link Jupiter Jones gave you. It says it all.

    Regards Leif.

Configuration Hard Drives Motherboards Windows XP