About to pull the trigger - $1k Rig - Final review

Saleen281

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I can see the light! Been doing alot of research the past week trying to put together the best machine possible for around $1000. I think I've done a good job selecting the best components, but keep in mind this is still my first time putting together a machine (upgraded alot in the past, but never from scratch)
There are some extremely knowledgeable people on these forums and would love to get your advise and a final review on this build :)! Would like to order within a day or two.

My question generally revolves around the entire build, like do i have enough cooling? Am i missing any parts? Anything I can change (even if slightly more in price) that will benefit the system? Do I have everything for a complete build - keep in mind i will be using components under "parts not required" ANY advise at all is of great help to me, all comments / suggestions extremely welcome! Thank you guys!

***Special thanks to Mr. Pizza for all the help so far =)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP =D

BUDGET RANGE: $900-$1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - HD movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor (HP 25" 1080p), Mouse (deathadder), keyboard (Cyborg), DVD Drive (re-using), Hard drive - 750g 7200rpm. (taking it out of my old system, only about a year old)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg? Open to suggestions

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S

PARTS PREFERENCES: No pref, but thinking AMD to get the bang for my buck

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p 25"

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want the best/most power for my buck. I have a Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme (few years old) in my old system, i don't thing they've changed much, should i toss it in the new system?

24ozg20.jpg

kolkim

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hey, I'm making a build aswell and I'm taking a couple things from u :p But I can't find where to post pictures into my topics! :O It says an URL but when i type in
"http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view"
it obv doesn't show my shopping cart :(
How'd you do it?
Edit: also how did you get the anti static wrist guard and 4gb USB Flash drive free? Thanks in advance :D

Saleen281

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Take a screenshot (hold control and use mouse wheel to zoom to size you want)
Crop it in paint to the size you want - save it.
Then you must host the picture, use tinypic.com or photobucket.com. Once you host it THEN you can use the url they give you after you upload it to their site.

tecmo34

Administrator
I really don't see any major issues with it... Looks good :) I would go with the Phenom II X4 955 over the X4 965, since the X4 965 is basically a stock overclocked X4 955. Also if your budget is tight, I would recommend dropping down to a 890GX motherboard since you won't loose much performance with x8,x8 over x16,x16. You will see a bigger difference with the ATI 5970 though, if that was your card.

As for your sound card, I would look to see how the on-board sound is for you than add the sound card if need.

Saleen281

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

Thanks for the advice tecmo! Budget isn't that tight so i guess i'll stay with the 890fx. I checked out the 5970, WHOA talk about 6-$750 dollar range. My budget won't allow for that pricey of a card but at that point would I be better off running dual 5870's? Also am i ok in the cooling department, think I need a CPU cooler?

tecmo34

Administrator
Sorry... I wasn't suggesting you get a 5970. I was saying the you won't really see a performance decrease with x8,x8 outside of a 5970. Dual 5870's would be the better option down the road... Yes.

As for cooling, you list that you will not be overclocking, so the stock cooler will me your needs. If you want better cooling or might overclock, I would add an aftermarket cooler.