How to configure RAM?

buckbuck2

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I just got my first computer up and running and am having problems with the RAM. The RAM is advertised to run at 1660 MHz and I checked on Speccy and it said it was only running at like 500 or so. And the timings were not as advertised. How can i change this and be using my RAM to the fullest?
Thanks,
Cody

What memory kit did you get?

Your memory will not automatically set your memory to that speed, you need to set everything manually. You will need to go into BIOS and set the speed, timings, and voltage manually. If you tell us what kit you have or the model number off one of the sticks we can find the specs for you.

buckbuck2

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
G.Skill ECO Series - Memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL7 - 1.35 V - unbuffered - non-ECC
Sold by: MemoryC (seller profile)

That is my RAM kit.
But i am confused on how to manually adjust the settings in BIOS Like i said this is my first build and am new to everything
Thanks

What motherboard do you have? Probably someone here who has the exact board and can walk you through it.

My ASUS board has an AI Tweaker tab, under that there is a DRAM settings option, when i go into it it gives me options to set the speed, timings, and voltage, yours will probably have something similar, just go looking around, exploring BIOS can be fun, and if you arent sure of what you might have done just exit without saving changes so you can explore without risk.

You can use CPU-Z and look under the memory tab and see what your timings should be set to.

buckbuck2

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I have an Asus m4a785td-m EVO mobo
but yeah ill have to go in and see if i cant find a memory settings option i couldnt find one when i just looked but ill check again