G50V hard drive kaput?

Hello,My G50V - about 4 years old, Windows 7, 2 HDs - suddenly crashed and when I tried to reboot it, I kept getting the message 'missing operating system.' Was finally able to enter BIOS and reset the BIOS defaults (based on a recommendation I found online). The computer then booted normally, only when I go to 'My Computer' the two drives on my second HD (F and G) are no longer listed. My backups are on G. Am I to conclude the HD is fried? Is there a way to recover the contents? Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about g50v hard drive kaput
  1. Does the other HDD spin up?

What is its model number?

Can you see the drive in Disk Management?

Can you see it in BIOS?
  2. I rebooted and the drives showed up again and are accessible. In the meantime, I tried to make a mirror image of the drives using Maxtor software and it failed at 98%. The drives are listed in device manager as ST9250421AS - is that the model no. you're looking for? No apparent trouble with the other HDD except when I try to make a mirror image.
  3. You may be able to get some of the remaining 2% with ddrescue (freeware). Ddrescue understands how to work around bad sectors. It also maintains a log file so that it can resume after an interruption.
  4. Thanks for the advice - how does ddrescue work? Can I use it with Maxtor MaxBlast?
  5. You can tell ddrescue to image from source to destination beginning at 98%.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 Computer Storage