Kodak DX6440 lens problem?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 27, 2004 8:04:46 PM

Hi all,
I purchased the DX6440 in April and took it on my travels in Costa
Rica, Belize, and across the USA. Takes wonderful pictures and I am
*very* happy with the camera!

One odd thing though: Many times, when turning ON the camera, the lens
comes out, but the lens shutter is VERY SLOW to open. Almost like the
motor is burning out. When this happens, the shutters are also very
slow to close when turning the camera off.

At first I thought this might be due to low battery power, but I've had
it happen when the camera was taken fresh off the dock with 3 solid
greens. (Haven't actually checked if it happens when the camera is
still in dock, but when do you ever use the camera like that in the
real world?)

As my 1 year warranty will expire in a couple months, I was wondering
if this sounds like a warranty problem, or is there something I can do
myself to fix it?

Thanks,
Michael Hoffman

P.s. -- If anyone is interested in seeing the pics, let me know and
I'll post the website.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 8:04:47 PM

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I purchased the DX6440 in April and took it on my travels in Costa
> Rica, Belize, and across the USA. Takes wonderful pictures and I am
> *very* happy with the camera!
>
> One odd thing though: Many times, when turning ON the camera, the lens
> comes out, but the lens shutter is VERY SLOW to open. Almost like the
> motor is burning out. When this happens, the shutters are also very
> slow to close when turning the camera off.
>
> At first I thought this might be due to low battery power, but I've had
> it happen when the camera was taken fresh off the dock with 3 solid
> greens. (Haven't actually checked if it happens when the camera is
> still in dock, but when do you ever use the camera like that in the
> real world?)
>
> As my 1 year warranty will expire in a couple months, I was wondering
> if this sounds like a warranty problem, or is there something I can do
> myself to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Hoffman
>
> P.s. -- If anyone is interested in seeing the pics, let me know and
> I'll post the website.

I have not seen this symptom on my DX6440. Sure, I would love to see
your pictures. About 500 or so of mine are available on Webshots
(www.webshots.com) under the user id of rphunter42. The shots from May
2003 onward are with the DX6440.
Email address below.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a great trip. My Daughter took a similar trip and thoroughly
enjoyed it. Great time.

OK, since the climate there is pretty humid and there are a great many
growing things in the area, I wonder if you might not have gotten something
on the door blades? If so it could make them slow down. One way to be sure
is to try the camera with fully charged and fresh batteries, as you note.
Be sure they are completely charged and up to full power. If this continues
to hapen where the doors are slow, then I suggest you get in touch with our
support team directly. They can get your camera in for review and testing.
If there is no damage to the camera from water or being dropped, the service
would be warranted.

Be sure to test the battery first.

800 235-6325

Let me know if you think I can help, Mike, I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Michael Hoffman" <mrh@panix.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I purchased the DX6440 in April and took it on my travels in Costa
> Rica, Belize, and across the USA. Takes wonderful pictures and I am
> *very* happy with the camera!
>
> One odd thing though: Many times, when turning ON the camera, the lens
> comes out, but the lens shutter is VERY SLOW to open. Almost like the
> motor is burning out. When this happens, the shutters are also very
> slow to close when turning the camera off.
>
> At first I thought this might be due to low battery power, but I've had
> it happen when the camera was taken fresh off the dock with 3 solid
> greens. (Haven't actually checked if it happens when the camera is
> still in dock, but when do you ever use the camera like that in the
> real world?)
>
> As my 1 year warranty will expire in a couple months, I was wondering
> if this sounds like a warranty problem, or is there something I can do
> myself to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Hoffman
>
> P.s. -- If anyone is interested in seeing the pics, let me know and
> I'll post the website.

January 6, 2005 2:05:21 AM

Thanks Ron. I know the camera was not dropped or damaged in any way. As I
mentioned, I have tested the camera with fully charged batteries... at first,
the doors popped right open, but now they are slow even when the camera is
just removed from the dock.

I'll give the support team a call. The camera is a refurb, but still covered
under a warranty.

By the way, the website for the pics is http://www.panix.com/~mrh/mwtrip.html

Some of the pics are not viewable using Mozilla Firefox... I'm looking into
that issue.

Michael

In <crcg66$i0i$1@news.kodak.com> article, Ron Baird mentioned that:
[...]

: >
[...]
January 6, 2005 2:05:22 AM

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> Thanks Ron. I know the camera was not dropped or damaged in any way. As I
> mentioned, I have tested the camera with fully charged batteries... at first,
> the doors popped right open, but now they are slow even when the camera is
> just removed from the dock.
>
> I'll give the support team a call. The camera is a refurb, but still covered
> under a warranty.
>
> By the way, the website for the pics is http://www.panix.com/~mrh/mwtrip.html
>
> Some of the pics are not viewable using Mozilla Firefox... I'm looking into
> that issue.
>
> Michael

Not sure which pictures you had trouble with but I just looked at them
with Firefox, no problem. You might invest in something like Photoshop
Elements 3.0 to make some of the shots MUCH better.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:42:22 AM

The shots from Washington, Oregon, and Wyoming/Montana will not show up
with my Firefox install. For some reason, Firefox is flipping the "/"
to "\%20" in the path. So the pics of the grizzly bear in Glacier, for
instance, do not process. In IE, all show up fine.

Mike
!