Sign in with
Your question

CM 690 II Question (also vs Antec 300s)

Last response: in Components
October 20, 2010 5:10:13 PM

Hi all - I am deep into researching various parts for my upcoming FIRST build.

On cases, I am narrowing to
CM 690 II (basic or advanced....probably basic)
Antec 300
Antec 300 Illusion

I like the basic, un-logoed look of the 300....and for 10 bucks more might just go with the Illusion. The 690 II is nice too, but for looks I like the Antecs better - less logo and a nice clean look. Painted black inside of the CM is nicer though.

BUT I sort of think the eSata port on the Cm 690 is nice.....for plugging in backup drives without having to snake the eSata cord from the back. Maybe its not a big deal though as I have a dock now and could theoretically just hook that up through the back on a permanent basis going forward.

One question on front case ports like eSata......bear with me as I'm a noob.....does that just hook to the mobo Sata port using a normal eSata cable....ie its just a connector pass-thru basically from the inside of the case to the outside? Same for the USB 2.0 front ports?

Separate question which might affect the above considerations.....as I will be getting a USB 3.0 mobo....will USB 3.0 be the new best option for external drives and docks over next few years, to the extent that I will be using one of the rear USB 3.0 plugs anyway? (I haven't seen any cases with USB 3.0 front ports yet).

Any other reasons I should pick the CM 690 ii over the Antecs? Some reviews were saying the tool-less design on the CM 690 ii is nice.....I guess I don't really care much about putting a few screws in the side of a HDD every once and awhile....I won't be swapping these things on a daily or monthly basis.....build quality between the two?

Thanks for your help everyone
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 20, 2010 5:22:22 PM

i have the antec 300 and can state its a great looking case and easy to build in. I have two antec LED fans up front so it looks like the illusion and for $10 more its a good buy with great airflow. the fans for $20 each if you buy them separately.

the CM690 II along with the CM 912 are both nice cases also and you can't go wrong with any of these three. I personally like the front of the antec the best.

as for as front USB and eSata go, the case just uses a pass through cable to your mobo.
m
l
October 20, 2010 6:29:30 PM

hogan773 said:
Hi all - I am deep into researching various parts for my upcoming FIRST build.

On cases, I am narrowing to
CM 690 II (basic or advanced....probably basic)
Antec 300
Antec 300 Illusion

I like the basic, un-logoed look of the 300....and for 10 bucks more might just go with the Illusion. The 690 II is nice too, but for looks I like the Antecs better - less logo and a nice clean look. Painted black inside of the CM is nicer though.

BUT I sort of think the eSata port on the Cm 690 is nice.....for plugging in backup drives without having to snake the eSata cord from the back. Maybe its not a big deal though as I have a dock now and could theoretically just hook that up through the back on a permanent basis going forward.

One question on front case ports like eSata......bear with me as I'm a noob.....does that just hook to the mobo Sata port using a normal eSata cable....ie its just a connector pass-thru basically from the inside of the case to the outside? Same for the USB 2.0 front ports?

Separate question which might affect the above considerations.....as I will be getting a USB 3.0 mobo....will USB 3.0 be the new best option for external drives and docks over next few years, to the extent that I will be using one of the rear USB 3.0 plugs anyway? (I haven't seen any cases with USB 3.0 front ports yet).

Any other reasons I should pick the CM 690 ii over the Antecs? Some reviews were saying the tool-less design on the CM 690 ii is nice.....I guess I don't really care much about putting a few screws in the side of a HDD every once and awhile....I won't be swapping these things on a daily or monthly basis.....build quality between the two?

Thanks for your help everyone

Well, CM690 II seems pretty good to me, considering it has very good cable management and the front eSata port. I have myself used CM690 (older model) and was completely satisfied. It kept all the components cool and was very quiet, because of the rubber padded feet I suppose. As for USB 3.0 cases, there are some. Look for Lian li if you want something like that. I don't have a clue about the Antec 300, although it is a good product as I have read in many reviews.
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2010 6:59:52 PM

Is tool-less design something to care about?

Any reason I couldn't spray paint the inside of the Antec 300 Illusion with some flat black paint?

Pros/Cons of having a window? Pro = you can see the mobo inside and maybe some glow from an led fan? Con = its a plastic piece whereas the non-windowed side is metal?

m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 20, 2010 7:23:24 PM

hogan773 said:
Is tool-less design something to care about?

Any reason I couldn't spray paint the inside of the Antec 300 Illusion with some flat black paint?

Pros/Cons of having a window? Pro = you can see the mobo inside and maybe some glow from an led fan? Con = its a plastic piece whereas the non-windowed side is metal?

1. unless you plan to constantly make upgrades and find using a screwdriver difficult, then no. Ive used both and could actually care less about using thumbscrews, frankly less worry about having them break.

2. you could but how many times do you look into your case?

3. you get to look at your hardware - pro (or a con), you tend to have more noise -con
m
l
!