GTX470 - Second DVI Doesn't Work..

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
As the title reads, I can't get the second DVI port to work.

I'm really hoping it's a software issue somewhere so I don't have to exchange it, but I've already updated the drivers..

My old Dell2007WFP LCD works perfectly normal in the dvi port next to the mini-hdmi, but the second one will not even recognize that it is plugged in.. (doesn't not make the disctinct "something has been connected" noise, "doo-da!", or when I disconnect.. there is no "Da-doo!"

Win 7 64bit

Ideas?

THANKS AGAIN!

Solution

LOL Nice! Google is your friend (most of the time)! :)

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Gawd, I'm such a noob.

I was trying to test the other plug while it was still turned on [built this machine yesturday]. I turned it off, switched plugs, 15 beeps from my MOBO later, it magically turned on.

When I had tried to switch them around, I was using my Viewsonic instead and that confused me into thinking it was the GTX.

But now, I still can't figure out why it won't recognize my Viewsonic VX2433wm on EITHER ports.

I have tried both the standard signed and unsigned drivers. (but also, that was before I could even get the Dell to use the second DVI)

TL;DR

What do I do to try to get the Viewsonic working (it's 1920x1080 native while my dell is 1680x1050, and I want the full HD experience since I just spent $1800 on the rig..)

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well, it wasn't driver related. I believe it was cable. At the same time, I realized that the monitor (handmedown) has a HDMI input.

So I take the mini hdmi-to-hdmi cable that came with my GTX470.

The picture is horrid. The control pannel says 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) and it looks lower quality than my 1650x1050 screen. The desktop also "overspills" beyond the screen.

What gives?

I had to resize my mothers 1080 TV when I connected it up via HDMI it's now @ 18 x10 something.

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well, answered my own question again :D

I fiddled with settings via buttons on the Viewsonic LCD, and realized it was set to "HDMI - TV". I switched it to "HDMI-PC" and BAM! Crisp!

OFF TO TRY BATTLEFIELD NOWSSS

Sweet! Sometimes all it takes it asking someone else, and suddenly your brain starts thinking about stuff you never did before.

Envoy battlefield. Your GTX 470 should rock that game. :) I was playing BC2 two nights ago with my GTX 470 @ 1920x1080 and it was smooth sailing.

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

Wow! I am just shocked at how nice this game looks. I went from playing Battlefield 2 on a Pent D with a Geforce 6800..

Look at my signature for my current and you can see why I'm so impressed :D

I put on 100% full settings under the advanced tab, and it's really impressive. Sometimes there are moments of lag in big big big explosions, but not often (although for ranked battles, I will tune it down a tiny bit to avoid this..)

On a side note, the "Auto" fan speed is insanely bad. I played for 20 minutes and my GPU read about 80º CELSIUS when I tabbed out. 2 minutes of full fan later, it was back down to 45º (it's idling at 38 now)

Just wow.

Btw, what do you use to read FPS?

I like to use the free version of Fraps for reading FPS in most games. :) It overlays in one of the corners of the screen. I usually use the top right as it seems to cover up the least in most games. You can take screenshots and video clips with Fraps too!