Should I keep my Vertex 2 or get a new SSD?

Denis54

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
I want to upgrade my computer from my old C2D. I am retired and I use my computer 2 - 4 hours a day to surf the web, read emails and do some simple Word and Excel work. My needs are pretty basic but I want a FAST machine.

Should I move my 2 years old Vertex 2 to my new machine or should I get a new SSD such as a Samsung 830?

Solution
Large capacity drives perform better than small capacity drives. That is why companies submit their large capacity ssd's for technical reviews. The companies typically submit their 256GB ssd's rather than their 64GB ssd's.

The general rule of thumb is purchase the largest capacity drive you can afford at the lowest sale price.
If you are on a tight budget, then keep the OCZ Vertex 2.

Based on what you do with your computer you will probably not see any performance difference between the Vertex 2 and a newer SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd. It would be different if you were doing some sort of heavy duty professional work.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
What is the size of the Vertex 2? Are you running out of space on it? Unless the Vertex 2 is getting full you're not going to see any noticeable difference between it and a faster drive because any SSD is already much faster than any HDD would be.

DarkSable - The Samsung 840 Pro SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd is brand new. In fact, today is the official release date. Although I am confident it will be an excellent ssd it does not yet have a proven track record like the Samsung 830. As usual, I recommend waiting 6 months before purchasing to see if any problems develop.

Denis54 - If you do decide to purchase a new ssd, the Samsung 830 is the drive I recommend. It has a stellar track record for performance and reliability. There have been some excellent sales lately.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I agree JohnnyLucky, the Samsung 830 is a great drive. If your Vertex 2 is below 100GB I would definitly go with a new one. But also with higher capacities it should be feelable higher performance with a new drive.

Large capacity drives perform better than small capacity drives. That is why companies submit their large capacity ssd's for technical reviews. The companies typically submit their 256GB ssd's rather than their 64GB ssd's.

The general rule of thumb is purchase the largest capacity drive you can afford at the lowest sale price.

Solution