Z68 deluxe vs z68-v pro

tyler94

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Im building a gaming machine and im wondering if the z68 deluxe is worth the extra 50 buck it costs more than the pro.

Solution

I would not pay an extra $50 for that. I would probably pay an extra $25. You get the following with the Deluxe that you don't get for the Pro:

1) Front-mount USB 3.0 box
2) Additional power phases (16+2 vs 12+2) may allow better overclocking
3) Debug LED that can give clues as to POST and no-boot issues
4) Onboard power/reset/clear CMOS buttons allow easy-breadboarding
5) Intel LAN generally has fewer driver issues than Realtek LAN
6) Asus has reported that the PCB for the Deluxe is thicker, which theoretically indicates an enhanced sturdiness and overall better build quality -- then again, every P8P67 is...

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
In my opinion no it is not worth the extra money, take a look at the extras you get: a better front USB 3.0 thing, dual LAN, extra sata cables, perhaps a better power phase design but I didn't look into this one, and slightly larger board heatsinks. The odd thing is the pro version seems to have a better Bluetooth version and a better audio chip, that is so long as these follow the conventional naming scheme where higher is better.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I would not pay an extra $50 for that. I would probably pay an extra $25. You get the following with the Deluxe that you don't get for the Pro:

1) Front-mount USB 3.0 box
2) Additional power phases (16+2 vs 12+2) may allow better overclocking
3) Debug LED that can give clues as to POST and no-boot issues
4) Onboard power/reset/clear CMOS buttons allow easy-breadboarding
5) Intel LAN generally has fewer driver issues than Realtek LAN
6) Asus has reported that the PCB for the Deluxe is thicker, which theoretically indicates an enhanced sturdiness and overall better build quality -- then again, every P8P67 is put together pretty well. The entire P8 line is very high quality.

Is that worth $50? I would say no. But it is worth $25.

Best of luck whatever direction you go -- Sandy Bridge is really something else...

Solution

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
You can close the gap a bit by using the coupon code newcustomer10 on newegg, might have to setup an account for a family member or something if you have ordered from them before. But then again there are no combo discounts with the deluxe where there is on the pro version.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

lol -- that doesn't close the gap at all. All it does is make it cheaper for either. In fact, the percentage difference in price just increases...