Sign in with
Your question

Samsubg 830; Windows wont shut down

Last response: in Storage
November 6, 2012 11:13:53 PM

I just installed windows to my new 830 128gb SSD. I had windows update install 91 updates, installed avast(which wanted to reboot), installed nvidia drivers(which also wanted reboot), and audio card drivers(which wanted reboot). Now when I finally try to do my first restart. My PC goes to shut down then says stage 1 of 3. Then it went to the normal "Shutting down..." screen and never showed stage 2 or 3. The progress circle is still moving but it has been over 30min and the pc has not finished w/e it is doing. Did I screw something up with all the different updates at once?
November 6, 2012 11:58:44 PM

Possibly, Windows updates should only be installed by themselves, it might be writing video drivers to your system, which you've attempted to write/overwrite with the drivers (same for audio). I always install Windows, run all updates, then go back and install any drivers Windows didn't have native support for or ones that provide better functionality than the Windows drivers.
m
l
November 7, 2012 1:36:13 AM

I waited like 15min more then I held the power button down and booted back up. Everything worked out fine so all is well.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
November 7, 2012 3:01:39 AM

Good to hear things worked out! Enjoy your new ssd. :) 
m
l
!