Sign in with
Your question

New ~$850 Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2010 1:29:11 PM

Hello,

I am considering going with the following setup (a few specifics still TBD, but general structure is there)

Case: CM Storm Sniper (willing to go lower grade if a deal doesn't come along)
PSU: Unknown, possibly the Corsair 650W-TX @ $65, not looking to spend more than that, but need something to eventually power SLI
GPU: EVGA 1GB GTX 460 (Eventually 2 in SLI)
CPU: Intel Core i5 750/760
Mobo: EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 (I like this board for the price, but am not dead set on it)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (Already Own)
RAM: Decent 1600 GDDR3 Dual Channel sticks, 2x2GB
Drive: Random $20 tray

Really considering this newegg combo to get things going: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Any thoughts on value for that combo?
Would I be remiss to buy this over time, rather than all at once to take advantage of 30 day return policies?
I've considered a USED CM Storm case- would this be a bad call to save $30? ie. if all parts and covers included- any reason NOT to go USED?

I know P55 in SLI isn't top of the line, but I see no reason to pay X58 premium for a ~+4% performance gain, and no guarentees that the X58 platform will have more longevity than 1156 will.

Also somewhat curious on board+RAM compatibility. Board says 2600+Mhz RAM, but that is not realistic, I would assume these boards take 1600 GDDR3 Dual Channel with np.

Any Advice?

More about : 850 gaming build

August 11, 2010 2:29:53 PM

I don't believe the EVGA P55 SLI board has SATA 6 or USB 3 capability, nor am I particularly interested in those features- as they seem relatively niche and unnecessary. Some say futureproof- but it seems current implementations are far from perfect and will just eat bandwidth that I will need in SLI.

Nice info on the upcoming chipsets- hate Intel for this very reason, perhaps an AMD X4 955 Black is a better choice at this juncture- would hate to sink money into a soon to be fossil, but realistically that is how things go I think... Article doesn't seem like the 1155 chipset adds a great deal worth noting over the 1156, other than better processor upgrade options... P57 will still have the x8-x8 SLI limitation, and X68 will still be enthusiast priced at $300 boards and $300 processors at entry level.

Further thoughts?
m
l
!