Sign in with
Your question

Serious Port Forwarding Issue

Last response: in Networking
April 2, 2010 4:33:26 AM

Hi all,

I'm having a severe problem with port forwarding. No matter what I do, I can not open any ports. I've tried every trick I can think of. All my anti-virus software and firewalls are deactivated. I've reset the modem and the router. I've plugged the modem directly into the computer. I've gotten so fed up, I've even called up the ISP. Of course, the ISP swore up and down that they don't block ports but at this point I'm not sure. Is there anything that you guys can think of that I might not have tried before I go and yell at the ISP? I'm running Windows 7 and I have a Linksys WRT54GS router. I've been using the "Shields Up" website to test the ports and when I forward them they go from stealth to closed, although, right now I have a lot of closed ports that aren't forwarded. I've also tried resetting my IP address, thinking that it might be something to do with that but for whatever reason, I can't do that either. Any help is really appreciated. Really, I'm looking to forward port 6112 so I can host Warcraft 3 games, if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've also tried forwarding ports to my netbook which is running ubuntu and I still get closed ports on it as well.

More about : port forwarding issue

April 2, 2010 12:09:02 PM

If the modem is being plugged directly to the PC, where are you setting up the port forwarding? My cable modem doesn't have any of that, it's all in my router/firewall.

Windows firewall is completely off?
m
l
April 2, 2010 6:37:10 PM

I'm simply stating things that I've tried. I've tried hooking the modem up directly to try to open my ports but I'm typically behind a linksys router. I've also tried connecting directly to a computer with ubuntu to rule out windows firewall. I suspect it has to be an issue with the isp or modem because of all the things I've tried
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2010 3:32:55 AM

I'll agree with you. But just to confirm, there's no place to even control that in the cable modem, is that correct?
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:38:13 AM

Correct. My modem is a motorola surfboard sb5100 and their website says the do not block ports. I guess I just wanted reassurance before I flipped out on the isp. But frm what I heard, isps are allowed to block ports on residential customers. Any feedback on that?
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:51:05 AM

well, they should document it. For example, comast blocks 25 to cut down on spammers/open relays (I think). So, yeah, I'd talk to them next. Start out nice and go from there, just in case it IS on your end though.
m
l
!