mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hey,
I currently have a asus P5BW-LA rev 1.05 motherboard (a.k.a buckeye)..
and it came with a 1.8 Ghz Cpu, so after three years i decided maybe i should upgrade the cpu.
So i looked at the supporting cpu's
i read dual core processor e6x00
so i went to cc's and bought a e6600 dual core processor, 3.06 ghz!
I came home, removed the old processor, and installed the new one.
After booting my computer, I have no display. It recognizes the CPU and i get signal from the monitor but i get no display at all. just that dim orange light on the power on button is orange!

What should i do to make the new cpu work and to get display?
should put the old one back in and do something? (that something i don't know...)
thanks!

It sounds like you CLR_CMOS and removed the battery. Both actions reset the BIOS to its default settings, which worked with your original CPU. Are you sure you didn't do more, or something else? I have sometimes bumped the RAM, which caused a problem. With the power cord disconnected, re-seat your RAM, and verify that your add-in cards are firmly seated in their slots. After that reconnect the power cord, and turn on the power. Did it work?

mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I did not correctly place the heatsink in because i'm jsut testing to get display with either cpu's and it's a hassle to put in..
But that could not be affecting it? could it?

mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

The thing is that with the new cpu i bought, it doesn't make beeping noises however has no display.
But with the old cpu it makes sounds and also has no display.

...I think i moved the things in the CLR_CMOS, i forgot their original position... could that be affecting it?

mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Okay, so i plugged in my OLD CPU, and it started to work..or atleast it gets to the windows logo then blue screens..
so i tried again with the NEW CPU and it gets no display neither does the processing light come up on my tower.

So solution now?
it must be bios.. but how should i mess with bios when i cant even get to desktop?
thanks!

The BSOD might not be a bad thing - you computer is trying to load windows. After POST, press the F8 key - repeatedly, if necessary. That should get you to the screen where you can load Windows in Safe mode or to choose the Last Known Configuration That Worked. Try the Last Known Config..........................

mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Okay! thanks guys... i will try and let forum know.
I tried the last known config and safe mode.. both blue screened :(
1) going to reformat
2) going to buy a cd drive and reinstall xp.
3)going to install new BIOS
4)going to put in CPU
5) might reformat again.
6) eat dinner

mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Okay so i reformated, it installed xp,
then when it restarted after the setup, my pc goes to the windows logo then just restarts.

? what could be the problem now?

mnsr4

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
But it went through the xp installation..
could it be that i only partitioned DRIVE C.. the one with system32/windows os.

Do i need to partition/reformat Drive D aswell?

Since you're doing a clean install and continue to have problems, you may want to remove or disconnect:
-- the D drive (all HDDs, except C)
-- all ODDs except the one you need for th XP cd,
-- all PCI/PCIe cards, except your graphics card.
All other unneeded hardware.
If you have been using Quick Format, you may want to try full format - it takes much longer because it performs a sector check on the HDD - if your C drive has bad sectors and you used quick format, XP may be installing critical files on the the bad sectors, causing your incomplete install/BSODs.

caryw

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Wait a sec.. Are you using the ASUS bios or the HP bios?

I have never had any luck overwriting the Asus Bios on an HP specific computer.

The bios is HP specific isnt it?

caryw

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
2007-05-03 , Version:5.08, 1.45M
P5BW-LA Motherboard BIOS update adds microcode update for Intel processors to resolve system stability issues, blue screen issues, and Send/Don't Send error messages.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3369448#N1118

That should get you back to working with your old cpu.

I have been upgrading a bunch of HP's here at work just bacause I had some Ebay money to play with.

I had the same issue you have with the new processor on an A818n and it was because I went from an 83 watt cpu to a 115 watt or was a stepping issue even though everything said it would work. Put a Sl7py in it instead of a sl7j8 and it worked fine. Either watts or stepping.