Sign in with
Your question

Need feedback on custom build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2010 3:43:37 PM

Hello everyone. I'm building a new computer myself and need feedback on the parts I have thought about using. I have assembled computers myself in the past, but I'm not really a hardware buff, so if you spot any errors I might have made in regards to compatibility or if you have suggestions that would improve my build, I would be grateful.

Cabinet: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 4x 2,8 GHz

Hard drive: Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ 1 TB

Graphics card: Gainward GTX 460 Golden Sample Goes like Hell (1 GB)

Blu-ray/DVD drive: LiteOn

RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB PC3-12800 DDR3

PSU: Corsair TX650W

Things I'm wondering: Is the graphics card okay? Would it be sensible to add a SSD drive? Should I buy extra cooling units? (I do not plan on overclocking).

More about : feedback custom build

August 11, 2010 4:05:40 PM

Your build is pretty good across the board.

Can you provide a to where you are buying from? IMO, the Dominator's are overpriced and you would be better suited going with something else.

As for the SSD question, what do you plan to do with your PC, will help determine if cost is justified.

As for the graphics card, you are good to go with the GTX 460 1GB and you don't need extra cooling (heat sink) on a non-overclocked system.
August 11, 2010 4:38:32 PM

Thank you for the answers, tecmo34! I am from Denmark, so I will be buying them from various stores that sell the individual parts cheapest. In regards SSD, I will mainly be using my computer for gaming as well as all-around entertainment.
Related resources
August 11, 2010 4:40:10 PM

For your needs, I would hold off on the SSD until the next gen comes out and prices begin to drop.

As for the RAM, I would look into either Corsair XMS3's or G.Skill RAM instead, both can be found cheaper and wit lower latency (timings)
August 11, 2010 6:32:13 PM

Alright, thank you! Are those XMS3 RAM triple channel?
August 11, 2010 6:39:09 PM

You can get them in triple-channel.
!