H.D.D Problem on MOBO

Casualty

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hello,

So I bought a new motherboard - CPU - ram a couple of days ago. I had no problems up until I got done building my comp. It would not power on at all but the green light on my motherboard showed that it had power. I rechecked everything I had done and put it all back together. A friend of mine thought the problem was in the "System Panel Connector" because it showed that I had power. So while my power cable was plugged in (stupid I know) I wiggled the Q connector to make sure it was on. After doing so my computer turned on and I put Windows on it.

I came back the following day and tried to turn it on but nothing. So again I tried everything that had to do with power. I eventually went back to the panel to wiggle it again and it turned on. I was using the Asus Q-Connector at the time so I took it off and put the plugs on one at a time. If it matters at all I put the H.D.D or the I.D.E LED on last. The system wouldn't boot so I went back and wiggled each one of the plugs and at the last plug, the H.D.D, it turned on.

Is this a problem with the motherboard, the case's H.D.D cable, or my power supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't found much on this issue and I am at loss.

My specs:

MOBO - Sabertooth x58
RAM - Corsair 1600 6 gigs
CPU - i7 950 3.06 ghz
GPU - GeForce 260 GTX
HDD - WD 1 TB
Power - Rosewill 630 watt 80% eff
Case - Antec 900

Thank you for your time.

Casualty

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Is the pin that you wiggle loose on your board? If not I would say it is the cable connection from you power supply that is causing the problem.

Well I eliminated that from the list a while back I forgot to mention. I used another cable connector and I even used another outlet in the wall thinking that might be the issue. When I turned on my computer today I found that I needed to do it in this order: flip the power switch on the back to off, unplug the cable connector, and finally redo the "System Panel Connector." After doing so I plugged the cable connector back in, flipped the switch and my computer turned on.

Casualty

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Update: In trying to figure out what was wrong I was trying to plug my Q-Connector in my motherboard. I didn't even have the Q-Connector plugged in the sockets at the time and was trying to slide it in, while doing this my computer turned on. I was at a lost and thought it might have been me bumping up against my power supply cables. So then while my computer was turned on I wiggled, moved, and pressed against my cables in my case and nothing happened.

I think I eliminated my power supply from the equation. That leaves me with my case and my motherboard as I was sliding the cable from my case along the slots for the reset, power, and H.D.D inputs. I have never heard of anything like this before it is really mind boggling.