Quick question bout sata ports on MB.

Andreyftw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I remember having a ribbon data cable connected to one of my hard drives and my dvd rom on my previous build and this time im not using it. Is it necessary to have it and is there any difference between using regular sata and data ribbon cable
sorry for such stupid question im total noob at this )

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Ribbon cable? You mean this?:

ide_cable.png

It's called an IDE cable, some call it ATA or PATA. It's an older version of connection with slower speed. But for an ODD, this won't matter much. For the HDD however, the speed difference is quite significant. The maximum is 133 MB/s, compared to SATA II's 3GB/s. You'll notice it when transferring bulk data. I suggest stick with the SATA, unless you're a very patient guy. :lol: Besides, your mobo only have 1 IDE port, it's wise to use it for the ODD rather than the HDD.

Nothing to worry about. The stupidest is the one who doesn't know but doesn't want to ask either. Nothing's too silly in regards to learning. ;)

Andreyftw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Like i said i had the IDE cables on my old rig so i kinda learned to be patient =P
i have a bad feeling that both of my hard drives are sata 1, is there any way to make sure? i examined my hardrives closely but it doesnt say it anywhere.

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much. Your hard drives are most likely Sata 3.0Gbps (often incorrectly called SATA II), rather than 1.5Gbps or 6.0. However, they are probably limited by other factors anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it.