Registry modifyng rights

May 18, 2005 7:14:02 PM

I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all of the logon
with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system secure, I have
taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from there, I
installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter his/her name the
very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing the users to
do anything.
When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no peoblems, bt
if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling me I have no
rights to modify the registry.
Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
Thansk for all your help.

VP
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:35:54 PM

"Vic18" wrote:
> I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all
> of the logon
> with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system
> secure, I have
> taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from
> there, I
> installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter
> his/her name the
> very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing
> the users to
> do anything.
> When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no
> peoblems, bt
> if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling
> me I have no
> rights to modify the registry.
> Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
> Thansk for all your help.
>
> VP

What level is the user set at? You may need Power User rights for
certain apps!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Regis...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217586
May 20, 2005 12:07:52 AM

"Vic" <Vic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all of the logon
> with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system secure, I have
> taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from there, I
> installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter his/her name the
> very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing the users
> do anything.
> When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no peoblems, bt
> if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling me I have
> no
> rights to modify the registry.
> Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
> Thansk for all your help.
>
> VP

One idea would be to logon as administrator and use a registry monitor
program (Regmon, www.sysinternals.com) to see what keys are being accessed.
Then with that knowledge, grant permissions to those keys for the userids
involved.

george
May 20, 2005 3:23:48 PM

Thanks guys,
Regarding IanW question, I cannot make them power users. This computer is a
public one, I have kids of all ages coming to play with them, making them
power users would be disastrous.
I'll George's option and see if I can get it to work.

!