Registry modifyng rights

I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all of the logon
with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system secure, I have
taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from there, I
installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter his/her name the
very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing the users to
do anything.
When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no peoblems, bt
if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling me I have no
rights to modify the registry.
Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
Thansk for all your help.

VP
3 answers Last reply
More about registry modifyng rights

    "Vic18" wrote:
    > I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all
    > of the logon
    > with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system
    > secure, I have
    > taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from
    > there, I
    > installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter
    > his/her name the
    > very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing
    > the users to
    > do anything.
    > When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no
    > peoblems, bt
    > if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling
    > me I have no
    > rights to modify the registry.
    > Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
    > Thansk for all your help.
    >
    > VP

    What level is the user set at? You may need Power User rights for
    certain apps!

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Registry-modifyng-rights-ftopict374551.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217586

    "Vic" <Vic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all of the logon
    > with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system secure, I have
    > taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from there, I
    > installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter his/her name the
    > very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing the users
    > do anything.
    > When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no peoblems, bt
    > if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling me I have
    > no
    > rights to modify the registry.
    > Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
    > Thansk for all your help.
    >
    > VP

    One idea would be to logon as administrator and use a registry monitor
    program (Regmon, www.sysinternals.com) to see what keys are being accessed.
    Then with that knowledge, grant permissions to those keys for the userids
    involved.

    george

    Thanks guys,
    Regarding IanW question, I cannot make them power users. This computer is a
    public one, I have kids of all ages coming to play with them, making them
    power users would be disastrous.
    I'll George's option and see if I can get it to work.

    "ianw1974" wrote:

    > "Vic18" wrote:
    > > I have set up a computer that is used by different people, all
    > > of the logon
    > > with ONE specific user name and password. To make my system
    > > secure, I have
    > > taken rights away fro m those profiles. My problem arises from
    > > there, I
    > > installed a couple of apps that require the user to enter
    > > his/her name the
    > > very first time they play with it, the program is not allowing
    > > the users to
    > > do anything.
    > > When I open these apps logged on as the local admi I have no
    > > peoblems, bt
    > > if I open the same files a the user, a message pops up telling
    > > me I have no
    > > rights to modify the registry.
    > > Can anybody give me an idea of how to fix this problem?
    > > Thansk for all your help.
    > >
    > > VP
    >
    > What level is the user set at? You may need Power User rights for
    > certain apps!

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Registry-modifyng-rights-ftopict374551.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217586

Configuration Windows XP