Sign in with
Your question

CPU innovation thoughts

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2010 5:44:20 AM

1st there was the core clock war, then the core counts, is it possible now theyre going for better GPU hybrid to the point where GPU hybrids are on the level of high end discrete graphics?
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2010 6:26:45 AM

Possibly. In my case, hopefully.

After the core clock war is over, we can buy single core CPU like peanuts now. The latest AMD Sempron 140 only cost around $30, that's how cheap.

Now at the dusk of Hybrid CPU war, the prices of current multi core CPUs already being cut down, although not by much.

With the new platform battle up ahead, logically, I can expect even lower prices for the current CPUs. Well, a guy can always hope... :) 
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
October 21, 2010 8:46:28 AM

damasvara said:

With the new platform battle up ahead, logically, I can expect even lower prices for the current CPUs.

I don't - at least not on the mainstream CPU's.

What happens is that production shifts to making new tech. Limited, very limited, production will go into the replacement market where limited demand on limited supplies does not generate lower prices.

I think this will be exacerbated by the fact that current and last gen CPU's, both Intel and AMD, are still quite capable performers.
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2010 10:57:46 AM

All the software that general users use needs to jump on the multi-threaded band wagon before multi-core really jumps into high gear. Quad cores and higher are only useful to hardcore gamers, or video editing, CAD, rendering, etc. The majority of CPU's sold are still to general users that want Farmville, email, and YouTube, none of which benefit from multi-core architectures.

On the hybrid CPU innovation, I only see that benefiting HTPC's and netbooks/tablets. Both of these also don't make up a huge part of the market.
m
l
October 21, 2010 1:29:12 PM

I think the CPU market will seesaw from the GHZ race to Core Count back and forth for many years to come. Sure it will have a bit of competition with GPU speeds, but that won't be for the main stream consumer.
m
l
!