Sign in with
Your question

Single vs dual processor

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2010 6:01:48 PM

I want to purchase a new laptop. I will be using for bookkeeping, word documents, 8-10 internet windows open, some photo editing and printing. I want 2-4 GB memory and 7200 rpm harddrive. Is it necessary to get a dual core processor?

More about : single dual processor

August 11, 2010 7:33:23 PM

Necessary? No. Recommended? Yes.

-Wolf sends
m
l
August 11, 2010 7:40:36 PM

I would consider it necessary in this day and age to get at least a dual core even for very low level usage. Since you want to do some photo editing it is definitely necessary. Many things today are capable of using two cores, and even for those that arent that frees up the other core for another app or background tasks. The price difference between a single and a dual core probably isnt much, but the difference in performance will be.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2010 7:54:07 PM

+1 to wolf-hunter!!!!! :lol: 

Buying a new single core processor in 2010, is like buying a charcoal oven for everyday cooking. You'd do that only because of affordability issues. And even then, the price diff is almost non-existent.

In any case, single core is dead technology. I did'nt know, that they still sell that stuff outside the third world, really.

Can we make do with it? Absolutely.

Is it normal though? Hell no.

These days it's more like : "Do I need a quad, or will a dual be alright for me"
m
l
August 13, 2010 8:54:54 AM

its like comparing a muzzleloader to a ak-47 :D 
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:02:22 PM

@ calguyhunk : I agree with you, but single cored pc/laptop do still exist. Does the words Atom N270 ring a bell? (I hate Atoms) :D 
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:59:23 PM

guanyu210379 said:
@ calguyhunk : I agree with you, but single cored pc/laptop do still exist. Does the words Atom N270 ring a bell? (I hate Atoms) :D 
That's what I said- they should'nt - :lol:  .

No, but on a serious note, @ adrichie, if you're planning on buying a pre-owned system, you can save some money and go with single core. (As it is, even pre owned Pentium Dual Core systems ain't gonna cost an arm and a leg).

But until & unless we are talking 'bout netbooks, single cores are really just not done anymore for brand new computers with rising demands from todays' softwares.
m
l
!