Compatibility issue

bhaskarb

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Dear All,
I have Biostar P4M900-M4 socket 478 Motherboard, I am using P-IV, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM @ 667 MHz. I want to install a ATI Radeon HD5570 Graphics card, I wanna know whether it will work on my motherboard, as my board has PCIE Ver. 1a, but this card is PCIE ver 2.1.

I am really frustrated with the onboard graphics, and so i want to update. and the MBD is very new, so I dont want a overhaul change.

Techniacally I know that PCIE are backward compatible. But a seller told me that the card wont run on my system. Also I found another thread in this forum, where someone informed that my chipset will not run PCIE 2.1. the thread address is: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300906-33-pcie-graphics-card-pcie-slot

So, I'm bit confused.

Regards

Bhaskar

bhaskarb

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I am even confused whether PCIE 2 will work properly!! And AMD has release the card in PCIE 2.1 bus architect, so its still bit confusing whether the seller mistakenly omit the 2.1 and putting it as 2.0 . I saw same model from sapphire with different pcie versions in two different portals. Its just so much confusing, I think if someone guarantee that it will work on PCIE 2.0, I will opt for good old HD4670. :)

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Well, 2.1 and 2.0 cards are *supposed* to be fully backwards compatible. The 2.0 card would be a safer bet and there is no advantage to buying a 2.1 card since any card you put in there is going to run at 1.0 speeds/bandwidths/whatever.

Biostar are the only people who will be able to give you a guarantee. Their website is not much help. :(

I think either card will probably work (assuming your power supply is sufficient). A 2.0 card might be more likely to work.

bhaskarb

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Well, 2.1 and 2.0 cards are *supposed* to be fully backwards compatible. The 2.0 card would be a safer bet and there is no advantage to buying a 2.1 card since any card you put in there is going to run at 1.0 speeds/bandwidths/whatever.

Biostar are the only people who will be able to give you a guarantee. Their website is not much help. :(

This is what I receive today from Biostar people. :(

"VIA P4M900 chipset is not compatible with PCI-E 2.x devices. Please use PCI-E 1.x 16x PCI-E video card.

Example: NVidia Geforce 7600GS."