xzar's quest? (spoiler)

i found montaron, in bird form, but i am unable to speak with xzar...i
keep getting the 'busy' message...do i have to wait for a certain time
of day, or am i not done yet with montaron?
14 answers Last reply
More about xzar quest spoiler
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:

    > i found montaron, in bird form, but i am unable to speak with xzar...i
    > keep getting the 'busy' message...do i have to wait for a certain time
    > of day, or am i not done yet with montaron?

    You have to install the ToB patch from
    http://www.bioware.com/games/throne_bhaal/support/patches/ .
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kish wrote:

    > You have to install the ToB patch from
    > http://www.bioware.com/games/throne_bhaal/support/patches/ .

    Oh wow, I was reading the list of things this fixes and apparently it's
    a bug in the entire game! I've been getting the 'busy' message *a lot*
    and I thought it was a (somewhat stupid) part of the game!

    Thanks! I guess the bundle pack didn't include this patch.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Kish wrote:
    >
    > > You have to install the ToB patch from
    > > http://www.bioware.com/games/throne_bhaal/support/patches/ .
    >
    > Oh wow, I was reading the list of things this fixes and apparently
    it's
    > a bug in the entire game! I've been getting the 'busy' message *a
    lot*
    > and I thought it was a (somewhat stupid) part of the game!
    >
    > Thanks! I guess the bundle pack didn't include this patch.

    Hm. I'd have thought it would. Evidently it didn't...

    Jonathan.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > Hm. I'd have thought it would. Evidently it didn't...

    Yeah, apparently it's fixed now. The ending to Xzar's quest was
    surprising, to say the least. :)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Hm. I'd have thought it would. Evidently it didn't...
    >
    > Yeah, apparently it's fixed now. The ending to Xzar's quest was
    > surprising, to say the least. :)

    Yeah. Now go take a walk on the wild side, find some excuse to go rest
    in the woods somewhere. (Jaheira's a druid, she likes to get close to
    nature, so don't sleep at inns or in town all the time.) If you have
    the expansion set Throne of Bhaal, going to Watcher's Keep is the
    perfect excuse - although you don't want to *enter* the fortress until
    chapter 6 at least and preferably 8, because the monsters are too
    powerful, it could be a good idea to go and buy a couple of items from
    the merchant outside the fortress and find out what they want of you.
    (The quests themselves can be left until after you enter the expansion
    set.)

    You could buy items such as the spell scrolls of Breach and Pierce
    Magic (if you haven't got them already). Learn them yourself and keep
    a spare scroll of each for Imoen. Breach will break a Protection from
    Magical Weapons unless the mage who cast it has cast a spell that
    protects against it (such as Spell Turning), and Pierce Magic will
    break a Spell Turning so that you can Breach the mage, so these two
    spells are essential for battles against high-level spellcasters.

    Or the Potion Case - there are four of these added by the Throne of
    Bhaal expansion, but only one is accessible while still in the
    standard Shadows of Amn part of the game (chapters 1-7), and this is
    it. Suddenly you'll find lugging all your spare potions about to be a
    lot easier.

    And it's a long walk there, so you might be a bit tired, so have a nap
    before you come back... It'll trigger some interesting dialogues and
    an encounter or two. (Personally I think this is one of the more
    poorly scripted parts of the game, but try to set it off anyway.)

    Jonathan.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > Yeah. Now go take a walk on the wild side, find some excuse to go rest
    > in the woods somewhere. (Jaheira's a druid, she likes to get close to
    > nature, so don't sleep at inns or in town all the time.) If you have
    > the expansion set Throne of Bhaal, going to Watcher's Keep is the
    > perfect excuse

    Oh yeah, I forgot about the potion case. Right now I'm waiting for it to
    turn dark so I can meet the woman at the docks for the Shadow Thieves.
    Is this a timed thing or can I go to Watcher's Keep to buy the potion
    case? I think it will turn dark in another hour or two.

    Also, is there a wand case by chance? That would be so great if there were.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah. Now go take a walk on the wild side, find some excuse to go
    rest
    > > in the woods somewhere. (Jaheira's a druid, she likes to get close
    > > nature, so don't sleep at inns or in town all the time.) If you
    have
    > > the expansion set Throne of Bhaal, going to Watcher's Keep is the
    > > perfect excuse
    >
    > Oh yeah, I forgot about the potion case. Right now I'm waiting for
    it to
    > turn dark so I can meet the woman at the docks for the Shadow
    Thieves.
    > Is this a timed thing or can I go to Watcher's Keep to buy the
    potion
    > case? I think it will turn dark in another hour or two.

    Turning dark is a timed thing - look at the bottom left corner of the
    screen to find out what time of day you are. (hover the mouse pointer
    over the clockwork cogwheels that show either the sun or moon, and a
    "Day XX Hour YY" note should pop up.)

    > Also, is there a wand case by chance? That would be so great if
    there were.

    No, there isn't. There's about seven scroll cases and six gem bags
    plus one potion case available in the first seven chapters - and a Bag
    of Holding (which can hold up to 200 objects of ANY kind) which will
    become available in chapter 4, in the same map in which Imoen rejoins
    your party.

    (Note that the Bag of Holding considers each and every arrow as a
    separate object, so if you put in just five stacks it will be full up:
    so don't use it for carrying arrows. But it's an ideal thing to
    contain your wands in.)

    There is also a more-than-useful Ammo Belt, which can carry up to 2000
    of all kinds of ammunition (arrows, bolts, sling bullets, darts), but
    it's halfway through the first dungeon level of Watcher's Keep. You
    *may* be able to survive far enough to get it, but I wouldn't go any
    further once you have.

    Once you get into chapter 8, you can lay your hands on a second bag of
    holding, a few more potion cases, and an extra scroll case or gem bag
    or two - plus any of the containers in Watcher's Keep that you missed
    earlier or decided to leave till you could handle the monsters there.

    Jonathan.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > Turning dark is a timed thing - look at the bottom left corner of the
    > screen to find out what time of day you are. (hover the mouse pointer
    > over the clockwork cogwheels that show either the sun or moon, and a
    > "Day XX Hour YY" note should pop up.)

    I know, but I'm wondering if I have to be at the docks the first time it
    turns dark after receiving the quest. Right now it's Hour 19, so I'm
    expecting it to turn dark soon, but I know if I go to Watcher's Keep now
    to get the potion case, more than a whole day will pass, so does that
    mean I'll miss something at the docks? Or can I go there during *any*
    night and still take care of that quest?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Turning dark is a timed thing - look at the bottom left corner of
    the
    > > screen to find out what time of day you are. (hover the mouse
    pointer
    > > over the clockwork cogwheels that show either the sun or moon, and
    > > "Day XX Hour YY" note should pop up.)
    >
    > I know, but I'm wondering if I have to be at the docks the first
    time it
    > turns dark after receiving the quest.

    No, any night will do.

    > Right now it's Hour 19, so I'm expecting it to turn dark soon

    A couple of game hours, don't know how long that is in real-time
    minutes. Come back when it's hour 21-22 or so.

    > but I know if I go to Watcher's Keep now
    > to get the potion case, more than a whole day will pass, so does
    that
    > mean I'll miss something at the docks?

    Nope actually. But your *character* doesn't know that, if you're
    role-playing ;-)

    Jonathan.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > Nope actually. But your *character* doesn't know that, if you're
    > role-playing ;-)

    Role-playing, what's that? I think I threw that out the window with all
    the help I've been getting! :)

    But now I'm set. Get the potion case, then do this stuff for Imoen. Then
    I'll come back and really role-play the rest of the quests in the city,
    which is pretty much all of them except the De'Arnise Keep.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    If you are not 'role-playing' there is a great BG2 text walkthrough.
    Unfortunately I do not have a link to it. I could e-mail it to you if
    required.

    ATB
    The Chris

    There is a solution!"

    http://mail.spaminspector.com

    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Nope actually. But your *character* doesn't know that, if you're
    > > role-playing ;-)
    >
    > Role-playing, what's that? I think I threw that out the window with all
    > the help I've been getting! :)
    >
    > But now I'm set. Get the potion case, then do this stuff for Imoen. Then
    > I'll come back and really role-play the rest of the quests in the city,
    > which is pretty much all of them except the De'Arnise Keep.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Chris wrote:

    > If you are not 'role-playing' there is a great BG2 text walkthrough.
    > Unfortunately I do not have a link to it. I could e-mail it to you if
    > required.

    No, of course I am. I never use walkthroughs. I was just getting a lot
    of help early on so I'd understand the flow of the game, and the
    necessities.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    I think you were told to meet her "at night" not necessary "that" night. So
    you could still role-play it. Of course, if you were really role-playing
    wouldn't you be going to rescue your sister/childhood friend rather than
    helping all these strangers :^)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Nope actually. But your *character* doesn't know that, if you're
    > > role-playing ;-)
    >
    > Role-playing, what's that? I think I threw that out the window with all
    > the help I've been getting! :)
    >
    > But now I'm set. Get the potion case, then do this stuff for Imoen. Then
    > I'll come back and really role-play the rest of the quests in the city,
    > which is pretty much all of them except the De'Arnise Keep.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Walkthroughts do destroy a game, though if you are stuck at times it can
    give one less advice then a ng post.

    One feature of a quick walkthrough scan is it can make you aware of quest
    you may be unaware of and answer some of the many game
    questions/curiosities. For example what would my stronghold missions be if I
    was a ranger/bard etc and before I am criticised mercilessly for not always
    finding out in game there is a small matter of life ie job, wife, kids, dogs
    etc getting in the way )

    > The Chris wrote:
    >
    > > If you are not 'role-playing' there is a great BG2 text walkthrough.
    > > Unfortunately I do not have a link to it. I could e-mail it to you if
    > > required.
    >
    > No, of course I am. I never use walkthroughs. I was just getting a lot
    > of help early on so I'd understand the flow of the game, and the
    > necessities.

Games Video Games