Edit boot ini for xp and windows 7

chackrapani

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I'm using Windows 7 and I installed XP later to another partition. Now I can't see 2 operating systems in my boot screen, just open XP. So How can I edit XP boot.ini to load 2 operating system in the boot scree?

You have installed the operating systems the wrong way around, always install the older operating system first and then it will install as you expect. It can be difficult to fix this problem but briefly what you need to do if you don’t want to reinstall both operating systems is to do a boot repair for Windows 7 so that windows 7 boots up then use a boot editor program for windows 7 so that you can boot XP as well. You can find the details on how to do this by searching the internet.
Editing boot.ini will not fix this problem.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
you can do it through (it's been a while so take this loosely and search around a little)

Right click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Startup

Something along those lines. That will get you close anyway and you could probably find it from there. Anyway it's a button you click and it opens boot.ini.

That way you don't have to go into folder view properties and unhide folders, and "important operating system files" or whatever, and then do a search and so on and so forth.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008

He is partially correct but not completely. You can fix your problem by editing boot.ini in XP, however you have to know the parameters of the line you need to add because there isn't going to be anything there. You'll need to know the physical location of the partition that windows 7 is on (example 0,1), the exact name (example Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate) and so on. It would probably be easier to do it the way he mentions if you don't have all that information already.

G

Window Vista and Windows 7 no longer use Boot.ini for the Boot menu.

Instead, they use bootmgr to replace the boot.ini

BCDedit Command User Reference.

Use Extreme Caution when using this tool. Worse comes to worse, just pop your Windows 7 DVD back in and do a repair to fix the bootmgr.

You'll have to edit the Boot Loader from Windows 7.

TonyB_42

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Right click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Under Startup and Recovery select settings --> Under Default Operating System, use the pulldown arror and select which OS to select as the default on Boot-->Click OK-->click Apply-->click OK-- Reboot.

Now the OS you selected should be highlited by default and will boot from it unless you select another OS using the up/down arrows.

oqsajec

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hey guys, i'm new here but I've gathered a plethora of info form here these past few years. I too have the same problem with a dual boot set-up BUT i installed XP first, then with the that same hard drive still attached, i installed win 7 ultimate on second hard drive. I do not get the menu to select which OS to boot up, and in order for me to switch between OS's i have to change the boot order of hard drives in the bios. My Dad told me that editing either the system autoexec.bat, system.ini or the boot.ini would fix this problem. When i went to MY COMPUTER------properties-----Advanced System Settings-----settings under Startup and Recovery-------to the drop down of the Default Operating System---------only my XP is detected, not my Win7. ? ? ?
Now, using 2 hard drives would i have to use a third-party program for both hard drives to be detected at start-up or is this correct-able in the bios? thanks for any input.

EDIT.....Ok, i used EasyBCD 2.0 beta, added the XP entry since it wasn't detected from Win7, changed the boot order to Win7 drive as the Master and now i have my menu to choose between OS's at start-up. Heck Yeah!!

anna bay

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

@TonyB_42

Your instructions worked for me 08-june-2012

Followed instructions-

Right click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Under Startup and Recovery select settings --> Under Default Operating System, use the pulldown arror and select which OS to select as the default on Boot-->Click OK-->click Apply-->click OK-- Reboot.

Now the OS you selected should be highlited by default and will boot from it unless you select another OS using the up/down arrows.

---> XP was installed first and created a partion for Win7 in XP Install.

After installing Win7 was booting to Win7 default, after using your guide and chaning 30 sec delay to min 3 sec works great!!

20 out of ten my friend!!

ABC, Mick