Status
Not open for further replies.

rkaycom

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hello all,

Posting here cos I've looked everywhere and still can't find an answer for my question.

I currently have two 2TB HDD. I wanted to run them in a RAID 0 config and have 4TB but as I have discovered, that isn't possible for my configuration due to my motherboard not supporting (even with BIOS update) UFEI. My options are this;

Forget the raid and just have to separate drives OR create two arrays on the two hard drives, the latter option is the only way I can get Windows to install. Question is, are there any down sides to running two arrays on the same disks?

Regards,

rkaycom

Solution
i would keep the two hard drives separate, install windows on one and install programs/games on the second one giving you some performance improvement

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If you want the total space for storage, then just do separate drives. THat way if you lose one drive, you only lose half your data. If you lose one drive in RAID 0 (which isn't RAID, I hate the term RAID 0), all your data is POOF! gone! IF you are looking for performance, then you should be using faster, smaller drives in RAID 0 (like video editing, etc), say 4 500GB drives or something. Or go RAID 10, (mirrored and striped), although your MB would have to support that.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
RAID settings are not done in the traditional system bios. The RAID controller has it's own bios. Pay attention to the on screen displays to see if the RAID controller give you a key combination to use to enter configuration.

Are you sure that you have a RAID controller?

Also, if you have the OS on another install, you could do a software RAID in Windows 7.

If the other 2 options are not available, just keep the drives separate

rkaycom

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
^ You can't boot a drive bigger then 2TB if you are using BIOS, you need to use UEFI. Hence my issue, I was running 2TB in RAID 0 before. So I obviously know how to make raid arrays.

Status
Not open for further replies.