Need a new motherboard

Felix C

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hello,

Tech. advised I need a new motherboard. Have a stock Gateway GT5656.
It is an ECS MCP61P-AM and specs are here: http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006203R/4006203Rsp2.shtml

Have upgraded PSU to a 500Watt system with the intention of using an upgraded video card in the available PCI Express slot. Not a serious gamer but did want to improve the video a bit over current.

Options:

1. Purchase new old stock motherboard.

2. Purchase upgraded motherboard for existing chip set( 3.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000) and DDR2 memory. Which one if so?

3. Purchase entirely different motherboard. Which one if so?

Recommendations? Computer is at TigerDirect service and I am not receiving a positive feeling of competency(or is it interest) from the tech as he did not notice I had changed the OEM 350w PSU to a Ultra X4 500w.

Really need a bit of help. Out of my area here.

Solution
You can use a different branded board but may have to acquire a new windows coa unless your current version is oem or retail boxed. I suggest you sell off your old ram/board/cpu/heatsink as a combo deal on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. If you don't want to go that route, get a 6150se am2+am3 board that uses ddr2 from newegg or frys if you live near one. They go for around $50. If you sell off your old combo, then you can look for a used am3 or combo deal at newegg. Frys stopped offering combos awhile back. DDR3 is still a bargain; I found mine used for $28 and am selling off some of my am3 stuff right now, but the board is atx, which won't fit your gateway case.
You can use a different branded board but may have to acquire a new windows coa unless your current version is oem or retail boxed. I suggest you sell off your old ram/board/cpu/heatsink as a combo deal on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. If you don't want to go that route, get a 6150se am2+am3 board that uses ddr2 from newegg or frys if you live near one. They go for around $50. If you sell off your old combo, then you can look for a used am3 or combo deal at newegg. Frys stopped offering combos awhile back. DDR3 is still a bargain; I found mine used for $28 and am selling off some of my am3 stuff right now, but the board is atx, which won't fit your gateway case.

Solution

Felix C

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Thank you for replying. Windows is/was OEM.

Speed of resolution is important as this is our home business PC. (We backed up files prior to reinstalling Windows and executing a System Recovery)

I think I can do an OEM board install but anything aftermarket requires a tech.GT5656 NOS boards are about $60-70. I will probably stay with a chipset and DDR2 compatible board. I saw the one you recommended and it's equivalent at TD. Still on the fence, awaiting a response for TD. Now I am better equipped to make a decision thanks to your post above.

6/16 Final update....
Going witha new old stock board, it is a MP61PAM,($50) and upgrading RAM to 4GB and video card to type yet unknown.

I know it is not high performance but the previous machine was a workhorse until the recent contrempt. Only upgrading video so I can play Silent Hunter 3 &4 (That is about as gamey as we get in the household)