Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build, Last Minute Opinions Please?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 11, 2010 8:59:16 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: THIS WEEK / EARLY NEXT WEEK

BUDGET RANGE: $900 - $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Homework, and some Video / Picture editing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, DVD writer, hard drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: First time building a computer actually, Newegg and TigerDirect seem to have good reviews though!

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA?

PARTS PREFERENCES: INTEL! But will consider … ha-ha

OVERCLOCKING: YES, will be my first time doing so.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: SLI in the future, for now just 1 card.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280 x 1024 is what I am use to, but wouldn't mind having better!

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: First build, did hours and hours of research, but still need opinions just in case.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Intel i7 930 for $200 picked up!

MOBO: Asus P6X58D-E for $240.00 picked up!

MEMORY: Corsair 6 GB for $150.00

GPU and PSU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 + KINGWIN 1000wfor $350.00!

+ Starcraft 2 for $60.00 rofl..

OR

PSU:Corsair 950w for $150.00... $140.00 after rebate

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 + SC2 for $270.00!!

And there you have it! Hopefully I pulled together something right. And one more question, anyone have any suggestions for a case?

Thanks in advance! :pt1cable: 

More about : build minute opinions

August 11, 2010 9:15:13 PM

So I'll take your advice, thank you. And I noticed that the GTX 460 can come with SC2 package, so I decided to go with that. Thanks again!

As for the PSU, I will do more research but I'll believe you on it being enough for 2 GTX460s. I just wouldn't mind paying a little more to be on the safe side.
Related resources
August 11, 2010 9:16:38 PM

da1ndonle said:
So I'll take your advice, thank you. And I noticed that the GTX 460 can come with SC2 package, so I decided to go with that. Thanks again!

As for the PSU, I will do more research but I'll believe you on it being enough for 2 GTX460s. I just wouldn't mind paying a little more to be on the safe side.

If you want to get a better PSU, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

August 11, 2010 9:24:42 PM

Thanks again everyone! Looking better and better, I'll have to take a minute and think of the 950w vs. the 650w.. I'm leaning on the 950w though.

fps_noob: I updated it, try again!! heh
August 11, 2010 9:30:20 PM

hahaha thanks timop!

basically it comes down to this...

GTX 460 + SC2 ($270) + 950w ($150) = $420

VS

GTX 460 + LZ-1000W ($350) + SC2 (60) = 410

since SC2 and the GTX 460 are already set.. rofl...

What do you suggest regarding the power supply? Corsair 950w or the LZ-1000w?
August 11, 2010 9:36:17 PM

da1ndonle said:
hahaha thanks timop!

basically it comes down to this...

GTX 460 + SC2 ($270) + 950w ($150) = $420

VS

GTX 460 + LZ-1000W ($350) + SC2 (60) = 410

since SC2 and the GTX 460 are already set.. rofl...

What do you suggest regarding the power supply? Corsair 950w or the LZ-1000w?

Its personal preference really, the Kingwin is a better value IMO, but it really depend on if you want a modular PSU or not.

The Corsair does have a better warranty though if you care about that, but both are excellent good PSUs, Corsair has a great reputation while Kingwins been in the PSU business for a while now.
August 11, 2010 9:47:39 PM

All right, will do some research later tonight. Any ideas for cases or will any mid-tower case do the job ?
August 11, 2010 10:04:40 PM

da1ndonle said:
All right, will do some research later tonight. Any ideas for cases or will any mid-tower case do the job ?

Pick the one you like, an case you dont like is bad no matter how great the features are because youll be looking at it more than anything inside the case.

Some decent ones for the money for me are the Nzxt Gamma, M59, Tempest, Phantom; Silverstone PS05, RV02, Antec 200, 300, 600; CM Storm, HAF and Lianli/Lancool ccases.
August 11, 2010 10:13:50 PM

i like cooler master storm sniper, haf 932 (or haf x i will get it :D ) antec 1200 and lancool dragonlord pck62
August 11, 2010 10:41:21 PM

They're all nice cases, so just pick the one you like and youre willing to pay for. (HAF X is awesome though)
August 11, 2010 10:50:28 PM

Thanks again everyone!

I looked at the HAF X, wow. that thing looks like a monster. Buuut ima have to go with something else. haha!
August 11, 2010 11:01:20 PM

Actually, I had a quick question. I realized I have no clue as to how many fans I need to have. Any ideas? I've been reading up on it and it seems 4 - 5 is the usual, but will I need more? Thanks !
August 11, 2010 11:09:40 PM

da1ndonle said:
Actually, I had a quick question. I realized I have no clue as to how many fans I need to have. Any ideas? I've been reading up on it and it seems 4 - 5 is the usual, but will I need more? Thanks !

All your parts are relatively cool, so even 1 exhaust fan would be workable.
For airflow reasons, it really depends on your case. Generally 2-3 exhausts on the back/top with one intake on the front and maybe a side fan to blow on the GPU is "ideal"."
August 15, 2010 6:17:22 AM

So I have build my machine today but am having a major problem.

If anyone can help me out, that would be great!

Once again, here's my system:

MOBO: p6x58d-e
CPU: i7 930
GPU: palit GeForce GTX 460
RAM: 6gb DDR3
PSU: OCZ 700w

So everything turns on, but my monitor receives nothing. Fans are running fine, I've quadruple checked the cables, tried different RAM and different GPU slot (only one gpu and no integrated so I can't test my video card), disconnected my hard drive and DVD drives, and I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any idea? Thanks again!
!