Unexplained 3Gb Hard Drive Swings

Hello,

I have a WinVista machine with a 50Gb C: drive and a 50Gb D" drive. Over the years, the C: drive has gotten filled up and the past year or two it has gotten 90% or more filled. I moved all of my large data files over to the D: drive, but the C: drive continues to fill up. Depending upon the day, it swings between 45Gb and 48Gb of usage on the C: drive.

I have scanned for malware with Malwarebytes, AVG, and Spybot and they continue to come up clean. Is there another potential explanation for what is happening or do I need to get an antivirus expert involved?

I only use the machine for Outlook and AOL email accounts and a little web research. So the big daily swings in disk usage is puzzling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about unexplained hard drive swings
  1. Download windirstat utility(google it) to get some statistics about where the space is going.

Write down numbers, and as it varies, find what is growing or shrinking
  2. Thanks so much for your fast reply. No, I did not move the entire Documents folder. I just moved many of the sub-folders that I had originally created. They seemed to move cleanly and I do not see them in the C: drive anymore, so I could not do it the way the link suggests now.
  3. raytseng said:
    Download windirstat utility(google it) to get some statistics about where the space is going.

Write down numbers, and as it varies, find what is growing or shrinking

Cool, I will do that now! Thanks so much.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage