Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cat urine damaged Video Card and Motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2010 3:33:52 PM

Hello,My cat urinated on my computer, I was wondering if the Video card can be fixed if I were to send it back to the manufacturer.I would just by another but it was a Nvida GTX 295 and they are still $500

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 4:16:37 PM

Disassemble your PC and wipe down any that got cat urine with a damp towel several times. Urine is somewhat acidic. Let all your components dry for a day and check for any moisture before reassembling.
July 6, 2010 6:58:57 PM

this post shined at me xD that sucks man but the title is of comedy value :p 
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 146 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 9:58:42 PM

Did you mod your case to look like a litter box?

If your components are fried, I am thinking that nVidia would not fix this as it was not a warranty issue. Here is an odd though, do you have homeowners or renters insurance? I wonder if they cover pet damage.
October 16, 2010 2:26:12 AM

It cleared itself up. I cleaned the mobo and video card and dried, tested to no avail. I put them back in thier packaging and put in my closet for 6 months. Just for fun I put it all back together and it all worked. I will let it run this weekend to see what happens.
October 16, 2010 4:03:12 AM

Gotta say this is probably the funniest forum post I've seen in a good while. Glad it's working for you though.

edit: Also just curious.. did you have the side panel open or did the cat get around the back and go through a pci slot?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2010 2:07:11 PM

@rushman64

In the future hopefully this won't happen again but FYI, CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, available at virtually any Auto Parts Store, is specially designed to clean electronic components without damaging them what so ever, I use it regularly for cleaning stubborn thermal compound and things like that.

My first use of it was from a water cooling leak which left behind corrosive coolant additive, that had gotten into my PCI-E slot, the CRC cleaned the slot to factory finish, which completely sold me on the product.

If you don't mind the question, how did this happen?

I have 2 cats myself but they are not allowed around my computers period, as one of them is addicted to chewing wires, about the size of USB connection cables, she has already caused us to armor plate most of the wires in the home, especially the entertainment centers HDMI cables!

Edit Add Caution Note: CRC is flammable and dries extremely fast, it is not and inside the house spray because it is not breather friendly, take it outside the home to use it.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 3:00:22 AM

Quote:
In the future hopefully this won't happen again but FYI, CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, available at virtually any Auto Parts Store, is specially designed to clean electronic components without damaging them what so ever, I use it regularly for cleaning stubborn thermal compound and things like that.

Huh. Never knew that. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
I have 2 cats myself but they are not allowed around my computers period, as one of them is addicted to chewing wires, about the size of USB connection cables, she has already caused us to armor plate most of the wires in the home, especially the entertainment centers HDMI cables!

Give her some catnip!
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 1:41:10 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Give her some catnip!

:lol:  We've tried that, it's a very short term attention getter, but it just doesn't cure Chewbacca's desires! :lol: 

We now call her Chewy for a nickname, but that's not her actual name. :lol: 

It's funny now Shadow, but it wasn't funny at all when my wife brought me her $80.00 Logitech headphone/microphone USB setup, with the cord chewed out right next to the headphones, that setup still hasn't been repaired, because the wires inside are as fine as hair, so it was either cat proof the rest of the wires or kill her, and we love her too much for the latter.

And when I say the wires are now armor plated, I am not joking, normal wire wrap wouldn't stop her, so whats protecting the wires now there's no way she can chew through it, she tried tough and I was laughing my a$$ off at her. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2010 12:56:52 AM

^ I'm guessing you are using some kind of Aluminum wire wrap/duct?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2010 4:20:51 AM

^ No it actually looks like plastic split wire loom like you'd find at the auto parts store, but its not split and about 5 times the wall thickness, you have to feed the wire through it, I don't remember the name of it.

Similar to flexible conduit with a harder rippled outer wall, she cannot chew through it!
October 18, 2010 12:53:17 PM

I think that cat was you...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2010 1:00:28 PM

rushman64 said:
Hello,My cat urinated on my computer, I was wondering if the Video card can be fixed if I were to send it back to the manufacturer.I would just by another but it was a Nvida GTX 295 and they are still $500

ATI cat knows best.
October 18, 2010 11:57:28 PM

The cat peed on it or sprayed? The title is a great head turner and I found myself curious how a cat does this? If it sprayed, it'll take a miracle to get that stench out!
a c 330 Î Nvidia
a c 535 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 12:15:41 AM

Send the cat back to the manufacturer.
The other option would be to go to a store that sells hunting supplies and get some fox urine scent. Spray that around your PC, and the cat will avoid it like the plague... so will your friends.
October 27, 2010 8:41:01 AM

I have a Coolermaster 690 case, I had the computer sitting on a speaker so it was about ten inches off the ground. The top of the computer was at the desktop level. He just squatted on the computer and it ran down through the mesh top. He has mental problems and he is old. I just can't find it in my heart to do anything to him. I now have the computer in a place he can't get to it.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 9:37:34 AM

rushman64 said:
I have a Coolermaster 690 case, I had the computer sitting on a speaker so it was about ten inches off the ground. The top of the computer was at the desktop level. He just squatted on the computer and it ran down through the mesh top. He has mental problems and he is old. I just can't find it in my heart to do anything to him. I now have the computer in a place he can't get to it.

That's Understandable.

Sounds like the day is coming you won't have any choice but to have him put to sleep, that's a hard thing to have to do, a cat we had for 12 yrs we had to put down to keep her from suffering.

It was a hard decision to make, you really love them over time, they work their way into your heart, unless you are a cat lover you'll never understand their mentality.

Anyhow, Sorry to go there but it brought back memories, we now have 2 cats one is into chewing wires and we had to armor cover all the exposed wires, and I had to install a screen door on my office to keep her out but its worth it, she's great.
October 27, 2010 3:31:58 PM

:lol:  This is the most hilarious post I've ever read..... The good thing is that at the end of the day, the PC and the kitty are both fine!! :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 4:19:51 PM

cat urinating all over the place means kidney problem. you should take a urine sample and go to the vet with it.
November 6, 2010 4:38:45 AM

Best answer selected by rushman64.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2010 7:54:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!