ATi and physx

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvernova0

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Wasn't sure exactly what to title this, but I have just ordered a 5850 ATi card and was wondering if I am able to throw a let's just say a GTS250 in one of my other PCI-E slots and be able to set it so that it will use it for all the Physx needs, such as if I wanted to play Arkham Asylum with Physx enabled.

Solution
It will work but you'll need to apply a patch to the Nvidia drivers as PhysX functionality has been blocked if an ATI card is present in recent driers. Search the web for GENL PHYSX and you should find the patch you'll need. I have it running at home with a 5870/GT220 and it works rather well.

thefivetheory

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
It will work but you'll need to apply a patch to the Nvidia drivers as PhysX functionality has been blocked if an ATI card is present in recent driers. Search the web for GENL PHYSX and you should find the patch you'll need. I have it running at home with a 5870/GT220 and it works rather well.

Solution
What they all said ^

But fyi a GTS250 would be overkill. If you plan to buy a dedicated PhysX card you won't need more than a GT240. Even a GT220 could get away with it I think.

Highest usage I've seen on my GT 240 PhysX card is about 75% maybe 80% playing Batman AA, no other PhysX game stresses it that much. Which is good since I can't get over 83% usage on the 4x PCIe lane I'm using.

That was kind of covered in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.