Startup Problem.

My computer has XP Pro preloaded by Gateway. My Startup window (in System
Configuration Utility) is populated by 30 items.

A freind's computer had ME preloaded by Dell and I helped her upgrade to XP
Home (SP2) in December. Her Startup window has only two items listed: SysTray
and Setup, and there is a button at the bottom of the window that says
"Restore Startup Programs.....".

If you click that button a window apprears that says "The following startup
items were disabled during the upgrade from your previous operating system.
Check the boxes for the items you wish to restore and click OK". And there
are only two items listed: HKLM\Softwar..... (MSConfigReminder) , and
HKLM\Softwar..... (Symantec NetDriver Monitor).

The problem is that my friend needs to uninstall and reinstall Norton
(because she gets an error message during LiveUpdate). But is not successful
uninstalling via Add/Remove Programs.

According to Symantec she needs to ensure that that ccApp box in the Startup
window is checked. But as it does not appear in that window she is stumped.

Could someone please help.

Thank you.

"aavishkar" wrote:
> My computer has XP Pro preloaded by Gateway. My Startup window
> (in System
> Configuration Utility) is populated by 30 items.
>
> A freind's computer had ME preloaded by Dell and I helped her
> upgrade to XP
> Home (SP2) in December. Her Startup window has only two items
> listed: SysTray
> and Setup, and there is a button at the bottom of the window
> that says
> "Restore Startup Programs.....".
>
> If you click that button a window apprears that says "The
> following startup
> items were disabled during the upgrade from your previous
> operating system.
> Check the boxes for the items you wish to restore and click
> OK". And there
> are only two items listed: HKLMSoftwar.....
> (MSConfigReminder) , and
> HKLMSoftwar..... (Symantec NetDriver Monitor).
>
> The problem is that my friend needs to uninstall and reinstall
> Norton
> (because she gets an error message during LiveUpdate). But is
> not successful
> uninstalling via Add/Remove Programs.
>
> According to Symantec she needs to ensure that that ccApp box
> in the Startup
> window is checked. But as it does not appear in that window
> she is stumped.
>
> Could someone please help.
>
> Thank you.

Easy way to remove this is as follows:

Registry.

1. HKLM/Software - remove anything relating to Norton AV be it under
Symantec or elsewhere.

2. Do the same as above but for HKCU.

3. Go to HKLM/Services/CurrentControlSet, and look for services that
relate to Norton. If in doubt of what they are, go to Start, Run and
then type services.msc and find them on the list.

4. Reboot, and then remove the Norton AV directories under Program
Files. Also check any Common areas that it may have stored stuff in
as well.

5. Reboot once more and reinstall Norton AV.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Startup-Problem-ftopict374624.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217585

Ian

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice.

It scares the beejeebers out of me to touch the Registry, but if that is the
only route - so be it.

Douglas

"aavishkar" wrote:
> Ian
>
> Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice.
>
> It scares the beejeebers out of me to touch the Registry, but
> if that is the
> only route - so be it.
>
> Douglas

Just be careful what you delete. If in doubt, double check and you’ll
be fine.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Startup-Problem-ftopict374624.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1219137