KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I bought a gibabyte HD 5670. (GV-R5670C-1GI) after i out it into the pci-e slot and started the computer the computer started for a second and after 7-8 seconds in shut down (without booting whatsoever) then after a few seconds it started again and shut down again and so on and on and on. what can cause these problem i should state that it shouldn't be me PSU, cause i have 400w PSU (the requierments) and most of my components probably dont take so much power and i have tried the extreme power supply calculator and acording to that i should have plenty.
I have MSI 945pl neo3 motherboard
intel core 2 duo e4300 (1.8ghz)
2 sticks ddr2 RAM (512MB each)
win XP sp3
and my old videocard is nvidia 7300GT

Being rated for 400W doesnt mean much, there is a large variation between 400W units. How old is your unit? Also take a look at the sticker on its side and tell us if it has multiple 12V rails and what each one's max current is, or just the make and model if you can find it.

The 5670 will use a fair bit more power than the 7300GT, and if you have a bad PSU it might be enough to push it past its limit. Try putting your 7300GT back in and make sure that it still boots with that.

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
It's about 2 years old
System works OK with 7300GT.
i should have 2 v12 rails one 16A the other 18a also a one -12v2DC (whatever that is) with 1.0a
the model should be ATX-400 JSP

Put in the old card, update the BIOS on the system. Try the new card again, make sure you have any external power sources that the other video card needs connected.

If it does not boot again, try a new power supply. If the PSU is a cheapo, I'm sure the 400 rating was set during a full moon with blessings of a vodoo priest done in a freezer at the North Pole. You are probably getting 300 out of it.

MadGoat1979

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Power button might be stuck in making contact and hard stopping the PSU. You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen this.

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

HD 5670 requiers no external power supply thats actually the reason i bought it and my PSU has one 6-pin for a graphics card so power should not be a issue.

If i'm getting 300 out of it then my system then probably it shouldn't work with my 7300gt either cause if i use the extreme power calculator them my recommended wattage is over 300 even with the 7300gt. And it varies very little (5w) if i change my card to HD 5670.

I have no idea how to update my BIOS. Only thing i know how to run that has something to do with BIOS is the BIOS setup i dont think its the same or is it?

Sorry for bad English.

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

How can i check/ mend this issue?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Updating your bios is necessary because the 5670 is a PCIe 2.1 card and old motherboards need a bios update to be able to support them. Just go to your manufacturers website, search for your motherboard's most recent bios update available and download and run it.It would automatically reboot your PC and the BIOS will be installed.

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

i updated my (or at least I think I did and the live update nolonger prompts me to download a new version of BIOS) and it had no affect exept that now when I start up my PC i get an error: A: drive error f1 to resume

If you don't have a floppy drive, go into the BIOS and disable it. It's probably set to enabled even though it's not phisically in the system. So the BIOS looks for it, does not find it, and gives you that error.

The other card is still hosed?

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

If hosed mean not working (i'm not English) then yeah.

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

PSU shouldn't be an issue cause the 5670 only takes power from the pcie slot and it doesnt take that much more than the 7300gt (according to the extreme power calculator at least)
how many amps does a 5670 need on a 12v rail?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
I don't think that its a problem with the PSU.Even though your PSU isn't that great, it should still be able to handle the 5670.Perhaps your motherboard is the culprit since its an old one.

KAUBAAUTO

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Any idea how to fix it without buying a new one?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

Even though manufacturers continue to support motherboards with BIOS updates, it eventually stops due to the chipset becoming obsolete and updates stop altogether.If you really want to run the 5670, trying it on a new motherboard is perhaps your only option.