Intel E8600 3.33mhz

gman82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hi all,

I'm having trouble figuring out why my processor is running slow, as stated above it's an Intel core 2 duo E8600 'wolfdale' which should be running at 3.33ghz

I installed the CPU in replacement of a Dual core 2.4 celeron

The thing now is... I load up CPU-Z and my core speed is 2.0ghz?

Details are as follows

Core speed 2000.0ghz
Multiplier x10
Bus Speed 200
Rated FSB 800

Is there a setting I can change to get the correct processor speed??

thanks

gman82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Thats what I thought, I have the ASUS P5KPL-AM Motherboard, which supports 1333 and even 1600 if overclocked, I cant see anywhere in the bios to change it, maybe it should detect itself?

gman82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Ok, I went into the bios and set the voltage settings all to auto and everything else i could find to auto, it now runs at 3.33ghz as it should... still getting a low windows score though (6.7) for memory and cpu, would my memory affect the score my cpu gets? anyone got any way to benchmark my CPU against other E8600s?

windows score means nothing, no one uses that as a real benchmark. If you want to check if its performing on par with similar processors, download "SiSoft Sandra" and rn the CPU benchmarking utils, it will give you comparisons with a renge of chips to see if it is indeed underperforming. My guess is it will perform on par.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Gman are you running on a stock intel cooler? If you would like I can walk you through good oc of your cpu/memory/latencies with your combo.

Spent more than my fair share of time in an asus bios with the e8000's

gman82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Hey there tonkatuffmofo, yes it's the stock intel cooler, I'm tempted to upgrade though, I'm now running at 3.5ghz (40-45deg idle) and when doing anything thats remotely processor hungry my temperatures shoot up to 65-70 deg. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated though

An intake fan blowing air directly into the path of the CPU fan may help, and making sure the case has good exhaust airflow. Also re-seat the heatsink with new thermal compound - artic silver 5 or something - should drop a couple of degrees.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Sorry it took so long to respond ive been very tied up with work gman.

You must have your mobo vcore voltage set to auto when you increased your fsb your mobo ramped your vcore up hence the heat.

Manually set your vcore to 1.18v's

Set your fsb to 380, this will give you a core speed of 3.8ghz

Set your dram speed to 380mhz or nearest equivelent, this will give you a ram speed of 760mhz. Even though this may be slower than your rams rated speed it will give you the best performance with a core2 and your particular mobo due to the fact this setting will allow your ram to run at a 1 to 1 ratio with your fsb and will increase your systems responsiveness.

Manually input your dram latencies.

Test this setup under prime 95 and utilize a temp program to monitor heat.
If your unstable bump your vcore up. your chip can safely handle up to 1.36v's but you will get no where near this with your stock cooler, you will run into trouble with heat around the 1.25v mark with your cooler.

^^^ This is more for future reference though a 400 mhz bump on the processor will require next to no increase over stock vcore with your chip.

Keep your temps under load with prime around the 60-62 mark and your golden.

You most definitely can push harder than the numbers im giving you with that chip.
BUT what im showing you is guaranteed stable with little hassle.

If you wish to go further you can try for a 400fsb for 4ghz. Should be easily obtainable with slight increases to vcore.

Anything over 400fsb and you will need to study up yourself as you are exceeding the fsb rating of your board (1600). While this isnt a problem a lot of other setting/voltages will need to be played with for stability and the slight performance increase you will achieve really isnt worth the time/effort expended.