My component selection for AM3 system, looks OK?

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi!

I'm planning on building a custom PC instead of buying from HP, Dell, etc. After several days of researching, I've come up with the following components.

Before I post let me note that I do graphic design, Photoshop, some 3D work with Cinema 4D, and video editing.

I understood that the i7 is better for graphic and video work, BUT I don't think it justifies the cost as I'm trying to build under $1500. Besides the GPU I chose is better than the similar priced Nvidia variant. Of course I'm no hardware expert, that's why I'm posting here asking for help :) .... I'd GREATLY appreciate any feedback, tips or advice.

Ok so the components:

=====
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

- Radeon HD 5850

- ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
(I went with 890GX instead of FX chipset because I'll never use multi GPU)

- OCZ Gold 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1333LV8GK

(Is this an appropriate RAM? I'm kinda confused on RAM. This one is 1.65v which I assume is better than 1.5v, also with 9-9-9-20 timing which I assume is better than 9-9-9-24 ... am I wrong?)

- Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
=========

I haven't decided on the case (I'm leaning towards the Antec 300), and the hard drives etc. I can pick later, but first I need to see if the components I posted above will be okay and adjust pricing later for the other parts.

Thanks again!!

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
For RAM around $200, is a CAS 7 1066 DDR3 more powerful than a CAS 9 1333 DDR3?

I'm looking at a dual channel kit, the CAS 7 is $10 less than the CAS 9 1333.

Which would you suggest?

thanks.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Actually I think I'm going to have to re-think this build.

I just realized that I can get a i7 930, Asus board, and GeForce GTX 470 (I think is better than the Radeon) for less than the components I listed above!

Plus I'll get CUDA support for a little boost.

I don't understand why the AMD setup is costing more, I'm assuming the price of the 6 core has gone up since all the glowing "outdated" reviews I've read.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
That sounds like a great deal. I never heard of Micocenter (I'm from LA). I checked their site, it doesn't mention that special, but seems they're in store pick up only.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Nevermind. I'm going back to the AMD/ATI route.

Just read several articles how the GTX 470 is significantly inferior to the 5850. The Fermi/CUDA idea is good, but I don't think it's worth it if the hardware is inferior (overheating).

Seems ATI has also fixed the driver issues.

Now I just need to get the best pricing...

And stop reading artciles otherwise I'll change my mind again and never get this computer built. :)

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Sorry about that.

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/0810_AMDbundle.html

Looks like they've got a store in Orange County/Tustin and another in Silicon Valley/Santa Clara. They are huge man, you walk in and it is essentially the walmart of computer products and electronics. And the prices are competitive with newegg and tigerdirect and sometimes better. I think most of their stuff is pickup, but nice thing is, if something goes wrong there is a physical place you can return it.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Ugh. Sorry. One quick question:

I made up my mind with the Radeon 5850. This will be the card to get.

Would I get any benefit if I use it along with a AMD chip, 1090T in particular?

Something about a "Leo" platform. I'm not understanding it.

Or is it just a gimmick by AMD to make people purchase their product line?

It's either gonna be a 1090T or i7 930. Reviews were mixed on them, but neither mentioned using a Radeon card so Leo probably doesn't matter... right?