Using boot drive from old PC as storage on new PC

Hi all,

I ran out of space on my current PC some time ago and plan to get a new hard drive soon, ideally id rather spend the money on an SSD but really need extra space too so I thought of a solution where I could have the best of both.

I kept my old pc as a back up. Is there any reason I cant remove the sata hard drive(used to boot windows Vista 64bit home) from this old pc and put it into my new one to be used as storage for games, music and video files etc (windows 7 64bit home)?

Ideally id want to leave vista on the old hard drive so i can put it back in the old pc if ever required and don't want to lose this will it remain usable for this purpose?

Thanks for your time guys!
3 answers Last reply
More about using boot drive storage
  1. I don't think there will be an issue as long as the windows partition on the old drive is left intact. You would obviously have to choose the drive that you want to boot into from the bios settings (now since there are two drives in the new pc).

Hope this helps.
  2. Most people (including me) solve your problem as you have. I went one step further and put my old drive in an external enclosure. That does two things I like. It allows me to turn it off when not in use and I don't have to choose a boot drive every time I launch.
  3. ram1009 said:
    Most people (including me) solve your problem as you have. I went one step further and put my old drive in an external enclosure. That does two things I like. It allows me to turn it off when not in use and I don't have to choose a boot drive every time I launch.

I think the enclosure idea makes good sense.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows Vista Storage