Mixing RAM... yeah, I know, but still read please

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Sup ppl?
I have the ASUS Striker Extreme MoBo (the first one) and currently, I have 2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator RAM @ 1066 (http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-TWIN2...0Q/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1308185238&sr=8-22), running at the max 800 MHz that the MoBo "officially" supports. Now, 2GB isn't enough, so I wanna go up to at least 4GB.

From all the reading i've done, it appears taht getting 2 more sticks of my current Memory to sum up to 4GB may not be the best option, since having more than 2 Memory Modules can interfere with OC'ing, so i've decided to go with the 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz (http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-TWIN2...-Channel/dp/B0027P9C9G/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0). Now, since my MoBo can support 8GB of RAM in all, I was wondering if I could run 6GB with all 4 sticks of RAM. So, (finally) here is my question:

Will my nForce 680i ASUS Striker Extreme MoBo work okay if I put the 2GB 800MHz and the 1GB 1066MHz Module in Chanell A, and the same in Channel B? I'm thinking that will make 3GB each running in Dual Channel

I know this isn't a situation that would have a simple, definitive answer, but i'm interested to hear the feedback from you guys on this setup

Nuff Respect
~Des

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

Well i'd limit the Memory to 800MHz in the BIOS. I don't wanna get 2 more sticks of the current RAM i have because the only places that do have it, are selling them for 3 times what I can get the 4GB sticks for.

How about this other complication, the 1066MHz needs 2.1v and the 800MHz is about 1.7v, I could leave the Voltage on Auto but that doesn't always detect and output the correct figure, and I doubt I can adjust it for each individual slot. Crapp :/

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

So you agree that setting the voltage to Auto probably wouldn't output the correct volts to each of the Memory Modules?

Win 7 x64

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
With a good ASUS mobo you can likely adjust the settings in the bios. I have a mid-range Gigabyte board and if you enable changing the advanced ram settings I can change all sorts of settings on the ram.

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

lol you sound drunk man

Well the Stiker Extrmem is a gaming board. I know there are a million options in the BIOS, but I don't remember seeing individual Voltage settings for each slot. The Desktop isn't near me now, but i'll be sure to check when I can.

You must match the sticks to the banks, you cannot mix memory types or sizes in a bank to run dual channel, in other words you have to put the 2 2gig sticks into 1 bank, and the 2 1 gig sticks in the other bank. That is the only way to run dual channel mode with the 6 gig of memory you have.
It will also likely be a problem trying to run memory with voltages that different. You can try them all at 2.1, but the sticks rated at 1.7 may get hot, maybe. The sticks rated at 2.1 might work at a lower voltage though, especially if you are only running them at 800mhz instead of 1066. You might try something like 1.8 or 1.9. On the other hand, they might be fine, but technically, for the best stability, you should not mix memory, especially different voltages.
I personally have never heard of a motherboard that allows you to run each stick at a different voltage, as all the memory is tied to the same buss and must work together.....different voltages per bank or stick would be really tough to make work.

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, I don't know what made me think of such a silly setup to get the Dual Channel to work, so thanks for the clarification. I eventually found something refering to that as well in the looong Memory FAQ Sticky here, so that's all cleared up now.

In terms of the voltages, you brought up a brilliant point, stating that since i'll be lowing the RAM's stock 1066MHz Clock Speed to 800MHz, i should be able to run them at a lower voltage. Double checked, and the other sticks at 800MHz require 1.8v

I guess from this point i'll have to just do some actual experimenting now. They new Memory are being shipped all the way to Jamaica, so when I finally get them, i'll see how it works out

~Des