Asus P8P67 Boot Problems

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Hey guys when booting my computer i randomly get the board to post but then after the motherboard screen a black screen comes up saying
"Reboot & select proper Boot Device OR Insert boot Media in selected boot device and press a key"

Now this doesnt happen all the time only at random times(Seems like when im in a hurry it happens lol). Why is this? can i fix? for reference im on windows 7. Not in raid. I dont have external hds connected but i do have 2 other harddrives in the computer.

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Might want to disconnect your other hard drives. Make sure you install windows on your main hard drive. Then connect your other hard drives and format them. Go into the Asus Bio's and make sure your Master hard drive is your boot drive. I'm sure you did this already but just a basic concern.

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
the problem is i dont want to format the harddrives again i have so much stuff on them and my system is set up good. I will say when i put in install disk and do recovery or something and attemp to fix mbr. it gives me error saying wrong version disk doesnt match the os on system. I know its the right one its one i installed with.

G

I have the same problem, most times when it happens the screen is black when the computer comes out of sleep-mode.
Sometimes it happens while I'm working on it, a window with memory problem appears, then a blue screen with a lot of text for 1 second and then the black screen with "insert proper boot device.... etc." appears.
Rebooting doesnt help, only when I take the 230V power of the PC and put it back again makes it possible to boot again. After that it works fine for a day, then it happens again, sometimes 2 times a day.

My reseller has tried another harddisk, he thought the problem was due to the OCZ SSD harddisk, now I have a Kingston SSD and a SATA HD for my data.
Several hours of stress test and 200 times rebooting and there was no problem found by my reseller. The problem has been away for several days and suddenly it was back en returns 1 or 2 times a day.

Does anyone has the same problem and found a solution?

The Marvell are not bootable, so only use the Intel SATA ports.

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® 9120 controller
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)
* These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

Q - What EXACT ports have what EXACT drives?

G

Thank you for your quick reply.

I don't know how to recognize Marvel or Intel Sata ports.

My Bios says:
Sata 6G_1 (Brown) Kingston SH100S3120G (bootable win7 64)
Sata 6G_2 (Brown) Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 (data)
Sata 3G_4 (Black) optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S Atapi
Sata 3G_5 (Black) optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S Atapi

Marvell is set on disabled in the bios.

Sata 6G_1 or 2 = Intel SATA3 (gray)
Sata 3G_4 or 5 = Intel SATA2 (blue)
Marvell (navy blue) ; SATA6G_E1/E2

Look on the MOBO, color coordinated.
Top down:
MARVELL = 2 ports SATA3 (navy blue)
INTEL = 2 Ports SATA3 (gray)
INTEL = 4 Ports SATA2 (blue)

In window, run Fix It to resolve AHCI issues - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Manually run REGEDIT and look at the Start Values, they should be 0:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
AHCI_Start_0.jpg