Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDMI Connection won't work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2010 9:07:39 PM

Hey,
I've got a X1950Pro graphics chip on my computer, with HDMI support - hence I can connect one DVI device and one HDMI device.

Trying to connect a secondary display screen, I purchased a new HDMI-to-DVI cable. The cable was supposed to transmit the data to my card as if it was an HDMI device.
Problem is it is not: my computer recognizes the screen, but the display refuses to show up. Tried it with 2 different screens.

Is the problem within the cable? Is it even possible to "deceive" my computer and connect the HDMI-to-DVI cable?

More about : hdmi connection work

a c 160 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 10:07:16 PM

When you say "the computer recognizes the screen" what are you going by? If you check your display properties, do both monitors show up? You may just need to enable one of the screens in Windows.
m
l
July 6, 2010 10:51:51 PM

Yup, both show up. Moreover, my computer is able to recognize the screen's full name, including its manufacturer and model.

I have windows 7. How can I adjust it? Shouldn't it happen instantaneously after I plug the device?
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 4:08:14 AM

try downloading Hydravision from ati, you need it. It isn't instantanious on the x1950pro, and even with hydravision its a little tedious.
m
l
July 7, 2010 11:22:21 AM

Well now I'm desperate. I've installed HydraVISION, Catalyst and the ATi Display Driver. None of them lead to the desirable result.

Maybe there's no solution? Is it even a legal configuration? (a DVI-D screen connected to an HDMI display adapter)
m
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 1:29:18 PM

TheBne said:
Well now I'm desperate. I've installed HydraVISION, Catalyst and the ATi Display Driver. None of them lead to the desirable result.

Maybe there's no solution? Is it even a legal configuration? (a DVI-D screen connected to an HDMI display adapter)

Are both monitors active? If one is darkened, you just need to click on it and enable it.

You may also have a bad cable, try another one.
m
l
July 7, 2010 2:07:13 PM

For checking another cable I should replace the one I have at the shop I bought it, and that's the last thing I wanna try.

I don't understand what's the meaning of darkened.. I am able to move my cursor beyond the regular boundaries when the secondary screen is connected. Everything seems to be okay - but the display simply won't show a thing.
m
l

Best solution

a c 160 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 2:18:17 PM

TheBne said:
For checking another cable I should replace the one I have at the shop I bought it, and that's the last thing I wanna try.

I don't understand what's the meaning of darkened.. I am able to move my cursor beyond the regular boundaries when the secondary screen is connected. Everything seems to be okay - but the display simply won't show a thing.

In Windows the monitor may be detected but disabled for use, and if you check in the graphics settings, it shows the disabled monitor as greyed-out.

But you say the mouse moves over to it like it's enabled. Try using a low resolution if it shows up in Windows, set it to 800x600 at 60hz, maybe it's set too high for the minitor to display.

And since you have this issue with several monitors, I am leaning towards the cable. HDMI can do some odd things. On my HDTV I can get audio from the HDMI cable, but no video.
July 7, 2010 2:31:15 PM

Tried playing with frequency and resolution properties, retrieved nothing new from that.

I guess I'll head for the shop and ask them for a replacement.. Just before that, are you completely sure it's supposed to work? (again: HDMI-supported gcard and a DVI-D display, connected by a DVI-to-HDMI cable. No converter is used ofc)
m
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 2:34:22 PM

TheBne said:
Tried playing with frequency and resolution properties, retrieved nothing new from that.

I guess I'll head for the shop and ask them for a replacement.. Just before that, are you completely sure it's supposed to work? (again: HDMI-supported gcard and a DVI-D display, connected by a DVI-to-HDMI cable. No converter is used ofc)

Check on the cable specs, if it's a HDMI to DVI converter, it should work to send the signal to your DVI monitor. I have done this before with Display Port and works fine. You may want to check this at the shop you got the cable at, they may have a PC and monitor sitting around you can try it on. That way you can rule out it being your system.
m
l
July 7, 2010 2:43:33 PM

It doesn't tell much, it only says that it is "suitable for connecting your HDMI device to your computer or to another device with digital DVI outlet".

Does it mean it is only a one-way connector? (means I can't use it with opposite sides, when the HDMI is connected to my computer)

BTW thanks a lot dude
m
l
July 7, 2010 2:51:33 PM

Best answer selected by TheBne.
m
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 3:18:29 PM

TheBne said:
It doesn't tell much, it only says that it is "suitable for connecting your HDMI device to your computer or to another device with digital DVI outlet".

Does it mean it is only a one-way connector? (means I can't use it with opposite sides, when the HDMI is connected to my computer)

BTW thanks a lot dude

I think you may have the connector backwards, is what you have a HDMI to DVI converter, or DVI to HDMI converter? Possibly the cables and/or electronics are different between the cables. You'd probably need to make sure you have a HDMI to DVI converter as you have a HDMI conenctor that needs to be connected to a DVI device, not the other way around like the product states.
m
l
!