Sign in with
Your question

Why are my RAM benchmark scores so low?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 12:24:09 AM

I ran several tests of Performancetest 7.0 and I keep getting low numbers on my RAM. Please feel free to be condescending, as I am a noob who's here to learn.

I have:
AMD Athlon II X3 440 Triple Core
Windows 7 64-bit
6 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT
2, 160GB SATA HDD's set up in RAID 0
1 75GB IDE HDD
.... more info if you think it'd be helpful
(The RAM is 2 sticks of Corsair CM3X 1024, and 2 sticks of ASint 2GB)

What I can't understand is my memory is all clocked to 667 MHz (whatever that means) and the stickers on all four sticks (2 at 2GB and 2 at 1GB) all say 1333 somewhere in the numbers. Does this account for the slow benchmark scores?

If it's helpful, here's the numbers:
Memory Mark: 310.5
Memory - Allocate Small Block 778.4
Memory- Read Cached 347.6
Memory- Read Uncached 349.3
Memory- Write 787.6
Memory- Large RAM 787.6

These numbers are very low compared to similar specs on other computers that uploaded their scores, and they aren't even as good as my wife's P4 3.4 GHz w/ 32-bit XP, and 4 GB (3.25 recognized) RAM.

My wife and I have roughly the same apps running (av, spyware, keyscrambler, firewall, etc.), so how in the heck are my numbers so dang low?

And strangely enough, my Windows Experience Index rated my Memory/RAM at a 7.2 on a 7.9 scale. So that's gotta be really high, right? that makes me even more weirded out at the benchmark scores.

On a completely unrelated note, I purchased this computer used, and the remote control access was on. That's not a default, is it? I ran Malwarebytes, Avast, and turned on Comodo Firewall... I didn't see anything wrong with any of them. But should I be worried? I don't want to format.

More about : ram benchmark scores low

a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 12:46:57 AM

DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 both send data on the rising and falling side of the clock cycle so DDR3 1333MHz ram has a 667MHz clock so that is normal. The Windows experience index is meaningless, it rates some things higher than they should be and others significantly lower than they should be, i believe its memory benchmark cares more about amount than speed.

Download CPU-Z and check to make sure that your memory is running in dual channel mode, if its running in single channel mode that will cost you half your bandwidth and make benchmarks report it as running slowly. If its running in single channel mode check your motherboard manual and see what slots paired modules should go in to be in dual channel mode.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 12:54:33 AM

I donloaded CPU-z and it says "Channels #: Dual" as well as "DRAM Frequency 666.7 MHz" (like you corrected me about)
Here are the timings:

DRAM Frequency: 666.7 MHz
FSB: DRAM 3:10
CAS# Latency (CL) 9.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 Clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 33 Clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

I also forgot to mention that my Mobo is a BIOSTAR A770E3
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 4:40:10 AM

Everything looks right so im not sure why you are reading so low in that benchmark. Do you notice slower performance on your machine in any tasks than on her machine? If its not noticeable its probably not worth spending much time to fix a problem that doesnt hurt anything.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 4:47:28 AM

It's not very noticeable. They perform roughly the same during multitasking. But that's weird b/c my machine is so much jucier than hers. :/ 

I could have spent hundreds less if I knew this. I thought it might just be a weird result, so I ran several benchmarks on both machines. Then I tried PCMatic (or something like that), and the memory results were always very low in comparison to lesser machines w/ the same OS, etc. The other marks were on par.

And I'd like to say that, even if I don't figure this out, you guys are awesome for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.
m
l
!