First time using SSD

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I ordered the Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VJ0/

I read everywhere about Norton Ghost and other software but can't I just install the SSD into my PC and install Windows 7 on it from scatch?

Additionally I want to use my HDD as storage so do I have to format it and if yes, how?

Solution
"I read everywhere about Norton Ghost and other software but can't I just install the SSD into my PC and install Windows 7 on it from scatch? " This is the preferred method for setting up a new ssd. A lot of people don't have install disk, or don't want to go through installing everything on a new drive so they try to clone and old one.

I would probably format your old drive just to start with a clean slate once you've got your ssd installed and running properly. Make sure your controller is in ahci, and the mechanical drive is disconnected when you install Windows on the ssd. After you get the ssd setup, connect the mechanical drive and format it through Windows. This will erase all data on the drive so make sure you don't need...

tomatthe

Distinguished
"I read everywhere about Norton Ghost and other software but can't I just install the SSD into my PC and install Windows 7 on it from scatch? " This is the preferred method for setting up a new ssd. A lot of people don't have install disk, or don't want to go through installing everything on a new drive so they try to clone and old one.

I would probably format your old drive just to start with a clean slate once you've got your ssd installed and running properly. Make sure your controller is in ahci, and the mechanical drive is disconnected when you install Windows on the ssd. After you get the ssd setup, connect the mechanical drive and format it through Windows. This will erase all data on the drive so make sure you don't need anything on it before moving forward.

Solution

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

How do I set my controller to ahci?

tomatthe

Distinguished
You would boot into the bios of your machine, which right when it starts up you should see something about hitting Alt+I or something like that to get into bios. In bios you would find the controller and make sure its on ahci, and not ide.

You might want to just check the machines manual, or google for it as it will definitely have instructions.

game junky

Distinguished
Install Windows 7 with only your SSD connected. Once Windows has been installed and you've booted to the full OS, connect the other HDD for additional storage.

I am using that setup in my desktop and it's the way to go. 180GB Intel SSD coupled with 1.5TB HDD