Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z??

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2011 5:35:21 AM

Alright, so I'm putting together a new rig piece by piece. I'm getting an SB-K, and going to go with Z68 for the sake of keeping my options open. I know I could probably do what I want to do with P67, but Z68 exists, so I might as well get the latest and greatest.

My main question is.... What the heck does the Maximus have that would justify a $100-$170 premium over the competing boards? I'm trying to OC my 2600k as well as I can on water and only running a pair of video cards.

My other options are:

MSI Z68A-GD80 - Looks pretty solid

Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD4XP - They finally enabled the video this-and-that with the XP series (I might even wait out the XP UD5, but it looks like the only real difference is a lot of USB3 I won't use)

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - Excellent reviews everywhere

So what's so good about the ASUS and the ROG and all of that? Will $359 get me 5GHz on a 2600K, but $209 won't?

To give you a better idea, here's the rest of the plan, and feel free to nitpick:

2600k (360 rad, most likely dangerden stuff)
4x4GB 1600MHz CL9 (either corsair vengeance or g.skill ripjaws-x, still undecided)
2x velociraptors in raid 0 (about $400 less to put my whole steam library on these vs SSD)
2x 6950s (probably XFX)
Corsair AX-850 PSU

More about : asus maximus extreme

June 16, 2011 7:40:10 PM

I'd be interested in the answer to that question as well, as I am looking to build a new rig soon too. I do believe that the p67 boards come with more PCI-e slots though, but if you're only using 2 video cards, the mid-range z68 motherboards should do fine.
!