Sign in with
Your question

Cannot access floppy disk without formatting it!!?!?

Last response: in Storage
November 8, 2012 11:45:09 AM

Hi,

A long time ago, when people still commonly used floppy disks, I stored many diaries and most importantly writing pieces (books authored by me) in a couple of Verbatim floppy disks. I've just found them accidently in my garage and I wish to access them on my computer.

Whenever I connect the floppy discs with a floppydisk-usb reader/cord into my laptop, I get a message popped onto my screen saying

"You need to format the disk in drive A: before you can use it."

I know that formatting the disk with erase all the stored files. That is the problem.
Can anyone help me? The files inside mean alot to me. Thanks!
November 8, 2012 12:00:19 PM

It could be windows bs or your floppies are fried. Try using the Hiren CD and read it off mini Windows or Linux
m
l
November 8, 2012 12:03:33 PM

they are not fried. They have been well stored and still look brand new.
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 G Storage
November 8, 2012 12:03:49 PM

I've seen where some drives can read floppies while others had issues. You might try a different floppy drive. See if you can find someone with an older machine that may still have one and try it on that machine.
m
l
November 8, 2012 12:05:02 PM

m
l
November 8, 2012 12:05:08 PM

m
l
November 8, 2012 12:16:54 PM

m
l
a b G Storage
November 8, 2012 12:55:44 PM

floppy's can be a pain anymore. sometimes you need something other than a new usb floppy drive........ like the "old" ones. ide.

sometimes running on xp helps vs w7/vista, etc. like dvd/cd's, once in a while you get a disk that won't run it unless it was on the same drive that made it.

let me know what works for you.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 8, 2012 1:00:09 PM

Just because you can't see the damage doesn't mean they aren't damaged beyond readability. Try different drives. Older floppy drives were much better made than recent ones. This is a common problem.
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:55:47 PM

Try winhex
m
l
!