Sign in with
Your question

Fans in the Antec 300 Illusion

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2010 1:29:08 AM

So with everyone's help here I built my first computer, and I'm currently installing Windows on it. Only thing is the fans are a little loud... not too loud, but just wondering if this is normal. I haven't had a desktop in like 5 years so please bear with me lol.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2010 7:07:03 AM

The term "Loud" is somehow relative.
I have built many system with Antec 300 but it is not "THAT loud".
Tryposting more details to your system like :
1.System components. PSU, proc, proc cooler, etc.
2. Are you using the standard fans from Antec or have you replaced them with some others?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2010 7:10:28 AM

How are the fans being controlled? If you have them wired directly to the PSU, they're going to run at 100% all the time. If you power them via the motherboard, you may be able to control the speeds they run at, which should result in a quieter system.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2010 1:26:09 PM

Antec TriCools on low setting are not considered loud by any means.
I can attest to that cuz i have 5 of them in my 902 case.
I have a CM690II Basic with 3 CM R4's in it and i consider it louder.
m
l
August 12, 2010 6:02:34 PM

They're attached to the PSU.

And maybe I have them on the highest setting... I'll have to check that out when I get home.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2010 6:10:05 PM

Unless they have individual knobs or whatever, since they're attached to the PSU, they're going to be running at 100%.

If you attach them to the motherboard or get a fan controller, you should be able to vary the speed to something that still cools well but also is less noisy.
m
l
August 12, 2010 10:58:33 PM

Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to plug the fans into the motherboard with these connectors and I can't figure it out... Sorry I'm an idiot.

I don't know what to call it but the connectors are the big circular 4 pin ones.
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:10:09 AM

ErniePotts said:
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to plug the fans into the motherboard with these connectors and I can't figure it out... Sorry I'm an idiot.

I don't know what to call it but the connectors are the big circular 4 pin ones.

I just built my PC yesterday (Antec 300) and couldn't figure this out either, so they're plugged into the PSU and are definitly running at 100%.
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:16:08 AM

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It isn't extremely loud or anything, but if I could get it a little quieter, I wouldn't mind.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2010 1:35:25 AM

Molex connectors won't plug into the motherboard. Those are the big ones with 4 circular things.

You would need Molex to 3 or 4 pin converters.
m
l
!