TrOll
9 answers Last reply
More about unreal tournament maps stuff

    On 2004-10-20 21:04:42 -0500, TrOll <Sawdust5555@aol.com> said:

    > Well, after 8 years of Quake2, I'm finally going to step up to UT.
    > Quake is dieing off and I just feel like it's time to move on. I
    > logged onto a couple of UT deathmatch servers and all I can get is
    > downloads that don't complete? On Quake2, if you don't have the map,
    > it will automatically download from the server. I haven't been able
    > to complete one on UT yet and was wondering if anyone here could tell
    > me why? I refresh the server list, select a server to play on then
    > double click and uaually a download will start but they never finish
    > and I get disconnected from the server? Oh, I'm on analog dialup and
    > was wondering if that had any thing to do with it. I'd like to know
    > where I can download a bunch of the UT maps and skins too. Any help
    > on these, guys?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > TrOll

    Your speed is too slow probably for most servers because they have LOTS
    of extras to download right from the start (skins, textures, music,
    maps, etc.) and the match currently going probably ends before your
    downloads, so you lose what you've started. If the server you want to
    play on is run by a clan and they have a website, odds are you can go
    there to download the files ahead of time (best bet with the slow
    connection).

    "TrOll" <Sawdust5555@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Well, after 8 years of Quake2, I'm finally going to step up to UT.
    > Quake is dieing off and I just feel like it's time to move on. I
    > logged onto a couple of UT deathmatch servers and all I can get is
    > downloads that don't complete? On Quake2, if you don't have the map,
    > it will automatically download from the server. I haven't been able
    > to complete one on UT yet and was wondering if anyone here could tell
    > me why? I refresh the server list, select a server to play on then
    > double click and uaually a download will start but they never finish
    > and I get disconnected from the server? Oh, I'm on analog dialup and
    > was wondering if that had any thing to do with it. I'd like to know
    > where I can download a bunch of the UT maps and skins too. Any help
    > on these, guys?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > TrOll

    Chances are that these servers are running content from the various bonus
    packs, which in total probably exceeds 20mb uncompressed. On dialup, you are
    most likely timing out from these servers. You can either keep reconnecting
    until you've successfully grabbed all the files, or you can go download the
    bonus packs yourself (faster as a zip file) and install them beforehand.

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:04:42 GMT, TrOll <Sawdust5555@aol.com> wrote:

    >Well, after 8 years of Quake2, I'm finally going to step up to UT.
    >Quake is dieing off and I just feel like it's time to move on. I
    >logged onto a couple of UT deathmatch servers and all I can get is
    >downloads that don't complete? On Quake2, if you don't have the map,
    >it will automatically download from the server. I haven't been able
    >to complete one on UT yet and was wondering if anyone here could tell
    >me why? I refresh the server list, select a server to play on then
    >double click and uaually a download will start but they never finish
    >and I get disconnected from the server? Oh, I'm on analog dialup and
    >was wondering if that had any thing to do with it. I'd like to know
    >where I can download a bunch of the UT maps and skins too. Any help
    >on these, guys?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >TrOll

    While I haven't played Quake 2 (or 1 for that matter) in a while, I
    still do play Quake III Arena, and find its fast action just what I
    need occasionally.

    I have UT GOTY, UT 2003 and UT 2004, though only the first and last
    are currently loaded on my machine (2003 seemed redundant). I
    primarily play Deathmatches, and have yet to try Onslaught (fear of
    the unknown .. and getting fragged as soon as the game starts).

    I've found that FilePlanet (www.fileplanet.com ) has about all the
    downloads you will want for any game. You will have to navigate
    through various screens to finally get to the UT section of your
    choice, but once you do, you will find lots of stuff to download. They
    have free servers to download on, and sometimes there is a wait, but
    if you download at the right time of day, it is very minimal. The
    bigger concern is that, as you are on dial-up, you will find about any
    online gaming experience extremely unsatisfying and frustrating.
    Downloading maps, mods and other stuff can be a challenge as well on
    dialup. Yeah, broadband is still a bit pricey, but its coming down,
    and you should really look into it. Last stats I saw were that over
    50% of US households now have broadband.

    Good luck ..

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:08:44 -0400, Darmok
    <cooncatspam@rocketmail.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:04:42 GMT, TrOll <Sawdust5555@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, after 8 years of Quake2, I'm finally going to step up to UT.
    >>Quake is dieing off and I just feel like it's time to move on. I
    >>logged onto a couple of UT deathmatch servers and all I can get is
    >>downloads that don't complete? On Quake2, if you don't have the map,
    >>it will automatically download from the server. I haven't been able
    >>to complete one on UT yet and was wondering if anyone here could tell
    >>me why? I refresh the server list, select a server to play on then
    >>double click and uaually a download will start but they never finish
    >>and I get disconnected from the server? Oh, I'm on analog dialup and
    >>was wondering if that had any thing to do with it. I'd like to know
    >>where I can download a bunch of the UT maps and skins too. Any help
    >>on these, guys?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>TrOll
    >
    >While I haven't played Quake 2 (or 1 for that matter) in a while, I
    >still do play Quake III Arena, and find its fast action just what I
    >need occasionally.
    >
    >I have UT GOTY, UT 2003 and UT 2004, though only the first and last
    >are currently loaded on my machine (2003 seemed redundant). I
    >primarily play Deathmatches, and have yet to try Onslaught (fear of
    >the unknown .. and getting fragged as soon as the game starts).
    >
    >I've found that FilePlanet (www.fileplanet.com ) has about all the
    >downloads you will want for any game. You will have to navigate
    >through various screens to finally get to the UT section of your
    >choice, but once you do, you will find lots of stuff to download. They
    >have free servers to download on, and sometimes there is a wait, but
    >if you download at the right time of day, it is very minimal. The
    >bigger concern is that, as you are on dial-up, you will find about any
    >online gaming experience extremely unsatisfying and frustrating.
    >Downloading maps, mods and other stuff can be a challenge as well on
    >dialup. Yeah, broadband is still a bit pricey, but its coming down,
    >and you should really look into it. Last stats I saw were that over
    >50% of US households now have broadband.
    >
    >Good luck ..

    Yeah, that sounds good but where I live there is NO broadband other
    than ISDN at $140 a month for dual 64k lines. Been there, done that
    and it wasn't worth it. Average pings on ISDN for me were in the
    120s. There are a few servers on Quake2 that I can ping 180 or so on
    with dialup.

    As far as being frustrated, I've been on dialup for most of my
    internet experience (10 years). When Champions League was still
    operating, I was ranked 800 or so among Quake2 players about 3 years
    ago. So, dialup is a handicap but it's not terminal. I don't do well
    in wide open maps but inside types work really well for me.

    The file Planet thingie sounds good too but they are always busy and I
    don't want to spend money just to download maps and stuff. I just
    thought someone might have a URL that wasn't a pay deal that I could
    ocnnect to.

    Right now I'm setup to do a dual analog (aka "Shotgun") dialup and can
    pull down about 10 to 12kbps on a good day so if I can find a site to
    get the maps from it won't take as long as it would from a server I
    was trying to play on.

    Google search didn't help much. Bunch of links with cross links that
    were a dead end.

    Oh well, maybe someone will have a site to point me to.

    Thanks,

    TrOll
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Hrmm. I'll want the bonus packs too once I get UT99 running in Linux.
    And seeing as I have broadband and a trusty Linux server, I'm thinking I
    could put them there for your downloading pleasure - once I get through
    all the FilePlanet queues myself that is - that should take about an hour.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:24:09 -0400, Artom <artom@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Hrmm. I'll want the bonus packs too once I get UT99 running in Linux.
    >And seeing as I have broadband and a trusty Linux server, I'm thinking I
    >could put them there for your downloading pleasure - once I get through
    >all the FilePlanet queues myself that is - that should take about an hour.

    If you could set that up I would appreciate it. I can give you an
    Email address to send the ftp info to so as not to have your puter
    overloaded with a bunch of connections at once. Since I can only pull
    10kbps it shouldn't mess with your connection too much. You can give
    me times that would be best on your end to avoid any potential
    conflicts.

    RE: Linux, I've been toying with Red Hat, Fedora and Mandrake off and
    on for about 3 years now. I'll load it on a spare computer, play with
    it some trying to get up to speed then loose interest when something
    doesn't go right, mainly in networking. I'm not a command line person
    so that makes me handicapped on Linux. I find it really hard to
    "unlearn" Windowz, if you know what I mean! That, and Linux is
    somewhat limited on some things that I do, or rather, some things I
    haven't learned to do on it. I figure I will only learn it when
    Windows gets to the point that it costs me more money than I have to
    spend on an OS.

    Meanwhile, lets get setup to play Unreal Tournament on whatever
    machine we use.

    Thanks,

    TrOll
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Well, I sent an email to the address you use to post here, dunno if that
    was the right one though.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I'm pretty sure I sent it to you, but I'll try again. Check that it
    didn't get filtered as junk.
  9. Hi all i own Unreal Tournament 1999 Ut2003-2004 for years where great i went back to old UT cause people can't cheat. I wonder why the unreal severs don't work as much when you load Unreal and it reads zero if you behind a Firewall Router you have enter Unreal ports nummbers to open to play If looking help just visit the Unreal planet forms they tell you the numbers open ports and you find Old maps on the site. Do not disable your firewall add the port numbers and you be able to see servers loading.

Download Servers Video Games Product