Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is it really worth it to get a DDL card?

Last response: in Components
October 22, 2010 2:28:50 AM

Hello, I recently purchased this:

They are Awesome so far.

But I had no idead my onboard sound card did not have DDL or any of that good stuff. Im hear asking you if there is really a diffrence between regular audio, and audio with DDL? I really need a fast response because I am willing to purchase one tommorow, so any advice would be Awesome!

Thnx :D 

erick

More about : worth ddl card

October 22, 2010 11:49:46 AM

There is only ONE reason for needing DDL: To stream 5.1 audio to a surround system via the digital output. Outside of this one circumstance, DDL (and DTS-NeoPc) are unneeded.
Score
October 22, 2010 12:24:48 PM

This headset supports dolby digital 5.1 sorround sound, and so far, analog from my onboard audio chipset sounds kind of dull. I'm leaning towards getting a new sound card, but yet I am still a bit undecided.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 22, 2010 6:18:34 PM

All right, thats the type of info I needed.

Most 5.1 Dolby Digital headsets are decent quality; I still favor analog, but a few sets are VERY good (My Tritton AX Pro's..until they fell apart. Oddly enough, I still love my old, decripid Sony MDR-3000 wireless headset for their side channel processing...).

Getting a card with DDL support will allow you to get the full 5.1 audio signal to the headset, so if you want the most out of it, a soundcard with DDL support is probably the way to go. My recomendations are the ASUS Xonar D1/DX and HT Omega Striker.

Out of curiosity, which headset are you using?
October 22, 2010 6:40:09 PM

Im using this headset, Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset. Heres more info

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H4QIC0/ref=oss_pro...

they are awesome so far, but obviously since my audio chipset doesnt support 5.1 surround sound, I'm not getting the full experience. And also... I also have a Sony MDR-3000 wireless headset lol, I lovem, but I only use that for my mp3 player.

Thx for the support and the suggestions, and I will buy the soundcard.

Thnx

Erick

Score
October 22, 2010 7:23:29 PM

use that headset, and connected it to the soundcard by analogue connections then there would be no need for DDL, unless of course u want upmixing stereo to 5.1...

infact itd be better just to use optical connection.
Score
October 22, 2010 8:54:27 PM

Unfortunately, my optical conection only outputs two channels! Tis' is why my headset sounds like a regular pair of headphones. But i have picked upt the Asus Xonar, I cant believe it was actually available at my local pc store! All I can say is... what a diffrence, money well spent. Also, one more quetion that I'm asking for help... Does the diameter of the optical cable mater and cause loss of clarity? The diameter of mine is very tiny. Would you recomend buying a better one???

Thx

Erick
Score
October 23, 2010 2:23:42 PM

no not really. jsut dont try to bend em too much.
Score
November 2, 2010 12:31:35 AM

Best answer selected by chavo12345.
Score
November 2, 2010 12:44:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!