PCMackHDD12

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Hello, do you think it is better to setup a RAID of HDDs or just buy a single SSD and one HDD and set them up in a raid, money problems?

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
1x 120GB SSD (min) and a HDD of the size of your choosing, as you will be the one putting all ur data on this and not the SSD.

After SSD's fill up about half way, their performance REALLY declines, keep that in mind. But they are SOOO FAST compared to HDD's...

Quaddro

Distinguished
the main difference between hdd and ssd is acces time..
and the other factor is about transfer rate..

Since hdd is mechanical base, it takes time when try to find and accessing sector of files..
but ssd do it almost instantly..
that's why ssd makes your computer very responsive to when you executing programs..

when you raid hdd, okay, you'll double up the transfer rates...
But...
it also make access time gettin worse, since there are 2 process that try to find and accessing sector of filesprocessing in system..and it also takes time to merging data from both hdd..

That's why storage raid, actually makes your system less responsive than single storage..

you cannot raid hdd and ssd, bro.. :)

Actually yes you can..but it will be very odd... :D

AceBlade258

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Can you please give some kind of proof to that statement. I've never heard anything like that before.

A RAID will always be faster on the read, and a RAID 0 (not really a RAID) will usually be faster on the write too, than a solo HDD.

A 64GB SSD + an HDD would be a lot more cost-effective. It would allow you to use the SSD as a giant Cache for the HDD, noticably increasing system performance.

Surprised you haven't - that's a given when dealing with SSDs, because of how they cashe. You can find it all over the internet.

Cashing is a PITA to set up, and will provide minimal benefit when opposed to a RAID.

AceBlade258

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

The performance decrease on a modern SSD is negligible from what I read. (I'll give it a shot on my Vertex 4's and see what happens.)

I'll agree, its a pain, but the performance increase is greater than a twin-drive RAID on a non-dedicated card.

Might depend on the controller? It'd be nice if we didn't have to worry about that anymore, though...

Ahh, fair enough. I've only run RAIDs on a card, so...

Quaddro

Distinguished

faster?

Yes, raid 0 on hdd makes your transfer rates rocketing..

but this is actually makes your system become more unresponsive, because slower acces time